Ten Healthy Foods For Weight Loss
Making healthy choices about what we eat and choosing healthy foods is not as simple as looking at just the calories in the food.
As well as keeping the total amount of calories under control so that we can successfully lose weight, we have to ensure that we are getting the right balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat as well as having enough of the essential vitamins and minerals to keep us healthy and able to live a healthy life.
Looking at food in terms of their overall nutritional value is a better way to start considering what to eat rather than purely thinking in terms of calories and whether a food is considered “good” or “bad”. This way, when we live a healthy life the weight loss will be a by product of this.
Our top ten nutritious super healthy foods .
- Carrots. These ordinary, orange vegetables are one of the best foods in terms of vitamin and mineral content. Carrots are the best source out there of vitamin A, and are high in fibre, have no fat and are also good sources of potassium, Vitamin C and magnesium. Raw is best, but lightly steamed carrots which retain their crunch are also excellent as a snack or accompaniment to a main meal.
- Salmon. Although salmon is higher in calorie terms than white fish, in nutritional terms it is far superior. The Omega 3 fatty acids found in oily fish such as salmon help control cholesterol levels in the blood, and salmon is a rich source of Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and magnesium.
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal is a complex carbohydrate, meaning it is high in fibre, packed with energy and takes a long time for the body to digest, so it keeps you feeling fuller for longer. Oatmeal can be prepared in many different ways, and when made into porridge it is the best way to set yourself up for the day. Oatcakes are a great, high fibre addition to a lunch box, and an easily portable snack item too.
- Apples. As well as being a healthy snack and one of the most widely eaten fruits, apples are a great source of antioxidants, thought to play a role in keeping our bodies healthy and protecting us from the signs of aging. Apple skin is high in fibre, and eating an apple will give a longer energy boost than a more sugary snack.
- Broccoli. This green vegetable is a very rich source of folic acid, which is thought to prevent against heart disease. It is also a great way to ensure that there is sufficient Vitamin C in the diet and is even thought to play a role in preventing certain cancers from developing.
- Olive oil. Olive oil is very high in calories, as are all fats and oils, but the unsaturated type of fat found in olive oil can have hugely benefit your heart and overall health. Less is more when it comes to olive oil and always opt for the extra virgin product. Use olive oil for cooking as well as for dressing salads.
- Wholegrain bread. Making a switch from white, processed bread to the wholegrain alternative will vastly improve both your daily fibre intake but also the amount of vitamins and minerals you are getting. The fibre in wholegrain products keeps the gut healthy, and it will provide longer lasting energy than white bread too.
- Brazil nuts. All types of nuts are high calorie, but they are a very rich source of vitamins, minerals and fibre. Nuts are easily portable and the ideal, instant-energy snack item for between meals. They are also easy to add to salads and other dishes.
- Blueberries. These little berries are low in fat and make a tasty snack or nutritious addition to yoghurt. They are an excellent source of Vitamin C and their bright bluish purple colour is caused by the huge number of antioxidants in the berries. Blueberries can be eaten raw, or cooked into baked items such as low fat muffins and they are great when added into the Healthy Mummy Smoothies
- Dark Chocolate. It seems too good to be true, but good quality chocolate which contains at least 70% cocoa solids is good for you. There are high levels of antioxidants in chocolate, and it is also a good source of iron and magnesium. Moderation is the key to chocolate consumption,which is why we created our portion controlled Healthy Mummy Dark Chocolate Treats
And if you need a quick and easy solution to breakfast or need to lose a few kg then check out our Healthy Mummy products here designed to give you maximum nutrition and help weight loss
If you are ready to lose weight then The Healthy Mummy plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine that are safe if you are breastfeeding.
And don’t forget to check out our current promotions and discounts page to see what specials we have on this week on our Healthy Mummy product range