As busy mums, it’s often our needs that go out the window on a hectic morning. You might be getting by on a (reheated) cup of coffee and very little else.
Then 10am rolls around, you’re starving, and you most likely reach for a quick fix (hello muffin from the cafe).
These habits can stall your weight loss on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge, because even if you’re eating well the rest of the day, this bumpy start can throw off your metabolism completely.
Or maybe you believe that skipping breakfast is a quick way to reduce your total calorie intake for the day. This has been proven time and time again NOT to work.
Here at the Healthy Mummy, we are NOT fans of any quick fix weight loss programs, especially for women post pregnancy. Successful weight loss on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is about changing lifelong habits, healthy eating and sensible exercise plans.
And at the Healthy Mummy we are HUGE fans of eating breakfast for the two most important reasons:
- You need the energy to fire up your metabolism and brain in the morning
- If you do not have breakfast, it is more likely you will eat something less better-for-you sooner than later as you will not be satisfied by a filling breakfast
The main reasons mums skip breakfast (and how to overcome the excuses)
There is a multitude of reasons why people skip breakfast. Too busy, not hungry, makes them feel queasy, get up too late or have to get out the door to work/school. But because breakfast is so important, we need to work around these issues.
A piece of toast with peanut butter and banana or a jar of yoghurt and berries can be eaten on the go. Or prep your Healthy Mummy Smoothie the night before and blend it up in the morning in around two minutes. Seriously, who doesn’t have a few minutes?
Some people wake up ravenous, where others wake up and they’re just not hungry. That’s OK. It just means you need to make a breakfast that you can eat a bit later on. A savoury muffin with ham, cheese and tomato can sit patiently in your bag until you need it. So can a jar of overnight oats.
You just can’t rely on your body to get you through to lunch if you don’t prepare to feel hungry at some point before midday. You’ll find a stack of healthy breakfast ideas in the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe hub.
Get up too late
This excuse is easily rectified, get up ten minutes earlier! Seriously your health and weight loss goals are worth making the effort for. You might benefit from preparing your breakfast the night before so that you can just grab and go.
Have to go to work
If you don’t fancy eating breakfast before you go to work, why not take breakfast with you? Make a big batch of porridge that you can heat up each day when you get to work.
Prepare a frittata from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge that you can keep in the work fridge and just heat and eat when you’re hungry. Keep some ham and cheese at work and some wraps in your desk drawer to prepare a quick wrap for breakfast to go with your mid-morning cuppa.
Healthy ideas for fast and delicious breakfasts
So what are some good options for breakfast that are easy, fast, delicious AND will keep you feeling full? You need two main elements – fibre and protein. Here are some ideas.
- A Healthy Mummy Smoothie is so versatile AND you can prep your mix-ins for the whole week to save you even more time.
- Eggs are brilliant in the morning as they’re filling and super fast. You’ll love these ten minute baked Italian Eggs.
- A quick muesli slice that you can eat on the go
- Porridge with some berries and Greek yoghurt on top
- Homemade granola topped with yoghurt and banana
- Sourdough toast with some low-fat ricotta, banana and honey
- Fruit salad with Greek yoghurt, pumpkin seeds or LSA sprinkled on top
- A toasted sandwich with some low-fat ricotta and ham, or this Cauliflower Cheese Toastie
- Boiled eggs and soldiers. Perfect for the kids too
- A healthy muffin like our Breakfast Hummingbird Muffin is a great meal to-go.
Join thousands of mums on the MUMS ONLY Challenge
Whether you have five kilograms to lose or 35 kilograms to lose – The Healthy Mummy is here to SUPPORT YOU and your PERSONAL WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY.
To find out more on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge click here.