How to cook brown rice easily at home
If you love the nutty flavour of brown rice but can’t seem to get the cooking method quite right, we are here to help.
Here at the Healthy Mummy we recommend using the absorption method. It gives consistent results, with moist fluffy rice at the end.
The only drawback to the absorption method is the cooking time – up to 40 minutes, which often turns people off.
The solution? Cook a double (or triple!) batch of rice whenever you make it, and freeze cooled leftovers in single or family sized serves.
Then just defrost in the fridge overnight or in the microwave, then heat until steaming hot to use another time.
As part of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge we often suggest pairing meals with brown rice so you’ll have plenty of chances to hone your skills.
Think Ginger and Pineapple Kebabs with Brown Rice and Corn, Pear Blue Cheese and Brown Rice Salad, Chicken and Brown Rice Soup, Veggie Brown Rice Quiche, and the classic Tuna & Brown Rice Salad.
Join the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge to find out more about accessing these great recipes.
How to cook brown rice:
- In a medium saucepan, pour in 1 cup of brown rice, and add 2 cups of cold water. For whatever amount of rice you use, add double the amount of water (e.g for 2 cups of uncooked rice use 4 cups water).
- Bring to a boil and then turn to a low simmer (just bubbling), place a lid on top ajar (to let a little steam out) and cook for about 35-40 minutes without stirring.
- In the last few minutes of cooking time, remove the lid and give it a stir to see if all the water is absorbed and then have a taste to see if it’s ready.
- Serve immediately, or once cooled place into plastic containers or jars to freeze.
Tasty ways to enjoy brown rice
- With steamed greens and poached eggs for breakfast
- To mop up the sauce of a tasty casserole or curry
- As part of a filling frittata or quiche
- Throw together a quick fried rice using leftover or defrosted rice
- To make this Mushroom Risotto
- To bulk out a soup and make it more filling
Join the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge
If you want to take charge of your own health and weight – then join our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge TODAY.
With more than 3,500 delicious (and healthy) recipes, 350 exercises & 24/7 support – the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is designed (and proven) to help busy mums like you lose weight!
To learn more about our challenge OR to join – click here.
To support your weight loss, The Healthy Mummy also has a range of delicious and good-for-you smoothies.
Our smoothie range offers an excellent source of essential vitamins, minerals, nutrients & important antioxidants. It does not contain any weight loss accelerants, caffeine gluten and is dairy free. It is also a non Genetically Modified product!
To learn more about our smoothies – click here.
To purchase one of our smoothies – click here