For anyone wanting to improve their diet, lose weight or are following a healthy eating plan like our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge (be quick next round is starting SOON!), cutting out processed foods is sure to be on the to-do list.
So instead of reaching for the jar of shop bought processed pasta sauce, why not make our Healthy Mummy Healthy homemade pasta sauce recipe below? You might be surprised by the depth of flavour that comes from using really ripe tomatoes and fresh garlic.
This super simple homemade pasta sauce uses a range of fresh produce and gets its flavour from ingredients like chilli, garlic and vinegar, as opposed to calorific and artificial additives. The primary ingredients are full of healthful and fat fighting benefits as well.
- Tomatoes are chock full of goodness. They are a good source of vitamins (A, C, K, potassium and folate); and are low in sodium, calories, and saturated fat.
- Garlic is a well-known fat fighter. It boosts your metabolism, regulates your blood sugar, and even eliminates fat from the cells!
- Red onions, as well as packing a big flavour hit, are great for cardiovascular health and can lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
Healthy Homemade Pasta Sauce Recipe Ingredients
- 6 ripe tomatoes (or you can use 2 x 400g tins of good quality diced tomatoes)
- 1 bulb of fresh garlic
- 2 red onions
- 2 small red chillis
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the tomatoes and garlic bulb in half, quarter the red onions, and place on a baking tray with the whole chillis. If using tinned tomatoes, just add them at step 6.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season well
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened and the garlic is soft to touch
- Once cool enough to handle, take the garlic and squeeze all of the flesh out into a bowl.
- Add the tomato, chilli, onion, wine and vinegar.
- Whiz everything together with a stick blender until just combined. Serve on top of your favourite pasta.
Recipe serves: 4. Calories per serve: 160
And if you love this recipe you can get over 3,500 more recipes in our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge