Healthy Finger Foods
Going out on the weekend, especially when socialising with friends, can be quite nerve-wracking for someone who is on a weight loss diet. Especially when there is a lot of delicious food around, or canapés/finger foods.
Here are a few tips to take with you this weekend and also TWENTY finger food suggestions if you are thinking of entertaining.
Do not arrive at a function hungry.
If you are hungry you will eat 10 helpings of finger foods as soon as you arrive.
One of the reasons these finger foods or canapés are so delicious is because they are full of flavour and often fat, sugar and salt.
Fat and sugar equals calories.
These tasty morsels appear small, but some of them may have as many calories as a whole meal!
When you are out socialising, one of the lessons you need to learn is how to eat consciously.
Healthy eating or weight loss shouldn’t equal deprivation.
We should love food and embrace it, but in a conscious and mindful manner.
Give yourself a number of canapés/finger foods which you can eat. Say 3. And then be done with it. Make your choices wisely, enjoy and savour the flavour.
It is this kind of mindful eating which will help you in the long run and you will learn to love food for what it is.
If you are entertaining yourself and you are in charge of the canapés on offer, make it easier on yourself and choose some options that are better for you and not as high in calories. Here is a list of some suggestions that you could try this weekend.
Note, these are better for you options, but the rules above still apply. Healthy eating and weight loss is just as much about learning how to eat again, as it is about what you do or do not eat.
20 Canape Suggestions
- Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto
- Asparagus and a tiny sliver of blue cheese wrapped in prosciutto
- Pear wrapped in prosciutto
- Beetroot dip (not based on cream cheese)
- Hommus dip (not based on cream cheese)
- Smoked salmon wrapped around reduced fat cream cheese
- Mini pikelets with a dollop of cream cheese and smoked salmon
- Mini chicken skewers
- Mini lamb koftas
- Mini warm or cold soup cups (in little shot glasses)
- Baked chicken wings
- Baked pork ribs with salty marinade
- Baked pita breads rubbed in garlic and sprinkled with parmesan cheese
- Sweet chilli and garlic prawns
- Mini frittatas
- Mini savoury muffins
- Smoked salmon wrapped around rockmelon
If you are ready to lose weight then The Healthy Mummy plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine that are safe if you are breastfeeding