Sophie Jane suffered from postnatal depression and anxiety but she was able to concentrate on her health and mental health and is now feeling so much better within herself.
“My start weight post birth was 90.4 and I’m now 75.2 so 15.2kgs my goal in 70 at this stage but I really want to get toned,” she says.
“It took me roughly 9 months to lose 15.2kgs with some ups and downs along the way. I’ve gone from a size 16/14 to 12/10 now depending on the different brands.”
Sophie’s journey to feeling better physically and mentally
Before starting a family, Sophie says she lost 5kg as she wanted to be fit and healthy.
“I lost at least 5 kgs and felt a lot better,” she admits.“I started really getting into it though once I had my son in October last year. I didn’t actually start to change my habits until the end of January as I suffered severely with post natal depression and anxiety.
“I was in hospital and I used the Healthy Mummy app to help me in the start with just listening to the meditation when I felt anxious or when I was going to sleep. I then commenced with the workouts while still in hospital, starting with Wendys postnatal workouts.
“I continued this when I was home and really got into my meal planing and healthy eating.”
How exercise has been helping Sophie’s mental health
It’s great to hear that Sophie is getting so much out of exercising now.
“I have seen massive health benefits and I’ve finally gotten back to the point where I miss exercise, it helps me massively with my mental health and obviously my physical health too,” she says.
“The Healthy Mummy community is amazing and I’m so happy to be apart of it. I’m so much more confident in myself both in appearance and mentally. I’m so happy and great full, for where I am today.
“I have now started a new job, I’m back at uni studying and my husband works away during the week. And The Healthy Mummy keeps me on track!”
What a typical day looks like
- Baked tortilla stack
- Creamy boscaiola ( but use spinach, mushroom and sundried tomato’s)
- Easy cheesy eggplant parmigiana
- Devilled sausages with sweet potato mash ( use vegetarian sausages)
- Zucchini and cheese arancini
Favourite desserts or snacks:
- Banana and raspberry chocolate muffins
- Caramel oat slice
- Microwave lava cake
- Beetroot and feta dip with rice cakes
- White chocolate and apricot slice.
- Whole grain crackers with tomato and cheese I love all of Wendy’s work outs so motivating
Three tips for success
- Take photos so when motivation is lacking you can look how far you have come
- Be organised meal plan and prep.
- Be kind to yourself and take time for you. Your worth it.
“I would say being consistent is seriously key, regular exercise, drinking at least two litres of water per day and eating well. Be sure you don’t overwhelm yourself and take baby steps,” adds Sophie.
“I started with getting my steps up, then water intake and regular exercise. Followed by my food and meal prep when I was home from hospital. I focus ad what I can do and not what I can’t. I also look at this as a lifestyle change and not a diet.”
Join the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge TODAY!
Want to shift your weight but feel like you have NO TIME in your day to exercise and eat healthily?
That’s where the Healthy Mummy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help.
What do you get? You get access to:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels.
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes.