When it gets HOT HOT HOT, sometimes it can be tough to think of healthy eating snacks that are suitable for a hot day.
It’s no fun eating something that has gone lukewarm in your handbag, so why not try some of our ideas below.
They’re perfect for a hot day when the sun is out and the temperature heats up
- Frozen Grapes – wash your grapes and dry them off with a tea towel. Distribute over a shallow tray and freeze before popping them into a zip lock bag. Perfectly chilled bite size snacks.
- Frozen Watermelon – freezing fruit as a snack isn’t new, but who knew that frozen watermelon tasted so good? Freeze in chunks on a chopping board before popping into Tupperware to store.
- Minty Cucumber Water – finely slice a small cucumber and add to a large jug of iced water or sparkling water. Add 1/2 cup of finely chopped mint leaves. The delicate flavour of cucumber is added to the water, offering a refreshing alternative to plain water.
- Homemade Dip – try our recipe here for a refreshing Beetroot Dip that you can serve with chopped carrot sticks.
- Frozen Yoghurt and Honey Drops – this is a fun one for the kids too. Mix together a cup of your favourite Greek yoghurt with 2 tbsp honey. Divide between 3 bowls and add a different food colouring to each. Pour into a zip lock bag and snip a corner off. Pipe little drops of yoghurt onto a lined baking tray and freeze until firm. Store in zip locks bags and store in the freezer to nibble on as required.
- Homemade Mango Icy Poles – use your favourite seasonal fruits to make homemade ice blocks like these ones.
- Frozen Raspberries – perfect just to pop in your mouth when you feel like something sweet.
- 2 Ingredient Banana Ice Cream – this tastes like a super indulgent rich ice cream, but in fact all you need is frozen banana and some peanut butter. Amazing! Recipe here.
- Frozen Pitted Fresh Dates – these turn extra sticky and delicious in the freezer. Be sure to only have one or two though as they are quite high in natural sugars.
- Mini Frozen Yoghurt Cones – take some little ice cream cones with a flat bottom and fill with thick Greek yoghurt. Place on a chopping board and freeze until firm (or place in an empty egg carton to freeze).
- Fruit Kebabs With Dipping Sauce– we love this recipe as you can tailor it to whatever fruit is on hand – plus the tasty dipping sauce is divine.
- Chamomile Iced Tea – brew up a pot of chamomile tea in the morning and when it’s strong enough pour into a jug. Toss in some mint leaves and chill in the fridge until icy cold. Fill with ice cubes before serving.
- Frozen Oranges – these are great to take along to the beach or the park as they thaw out on the go and are perfectly chilled when you want to eat them.
- Smoothie Pops – if you make too much of your Healthy Mummy Smoothie in the morning, pour the leftovers into ice blocks moulds to make a super nutritious icy pole.
- Frozen Pineapple – stick a toothpick into big chunks of pineapple and freeze. It tastes like a delicious sorbet!
If you need more snack ideas see our Healthy Snacks Recipe ebook here