Hot cross buns are a yummy snack in the lead up to Easter BUT they can be high in calories and not great if you are following a weight loss plan.
So instead, check our our healthy eating recipe for this popular Easter Favourite and enjoy them without any guilt!
- 400g wholemeal flour
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 50g reduced fat butter
- 40g mixed dried fruit
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon Natvia natural sweetener
- 200ml water
For the crosses
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
For the glaze
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat oven at 200C.
- Mix yeast and Natvia with 150ml of water.
- Mix the dry ingredients together (flour, mixed spice, dried fruit).
- Make a well in the centre of your dough. Then pour in the yeast mixture, 50ml of water and the butter
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes and then cover it, leaving it to rise for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, cut the dough into balls and then leave them to rise for another 20 minutes or until the size doubles.
- Whilst waiting for the dough to rise, prepare your crossed dough mixture in a mixing bowl and put it into a piping bag.
- Then, pipe it onto the dough balls in a cross shape before you pop it in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once it’s done, take it out of the oven and glaze it!
All your guests will definitely enjoy this tasty Easter staple and the best part is…it will help keep you on track towards your goal of getting losing weight.
Makes around 15 buns with each bun being approx 110 calories
Are you ready to be a Healthy Mummy? Join the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge today.
If you are wanting to lose weight and improve your energy – not to mention – help improve your overall health and wellbeing – our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is an awesome program to check out.
Our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge includes:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans (including 7 Day Cleanse)
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes!