Our Healthy Mummy community is always offering feedback on what they are looking for to help them on their weight loss journey. And we love our Healthy Mummy community so we always listen to them! So many mums have been asking us if the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can be made Keto diet meal plan…and we listened! We have just added a new meal plan into the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge called Keto Lite: Safe for Mums!
This Keto Lite meal plan DOESN’T get people into a state of ketosis, it’s more about the macro split of meals each day i.e. moderate protein, higher in healthy fats, lower in carbs and I think you are going to LOVE IT. Not harsh but still effective.
Read all about why we have added a Keto option to our meal plans.
Introducing The Healthy Mummy Keto Lite: Safe for Mums meal plan!
Why has this Keto Lite: Safe for Mums meal plan been developed?
A lot of mums have been requesting more of a keto style meal plan.
A classic ketogenic diet is very hard to follow. It is 90% fats 8% protein and 2% carbs. It is used therapeutically for people with medical issues, and what was discovered, is that it benefits weight loss as well.
Most people that say they follow a ketogenic diet actually eat a modified ‘Atkins’ diet, and the breakdown of that is more like 65% fat, 30% protein and 6% carbs. Compare this to a standard western diet which is 35% fat, 16% protein and 49% carbs, then you can see a dramatic difference.
How has The Healthy Mummy Keto Lite: Safe for Mums meal plan been developed?
When our Nutritionist designed The Healthy Mummy Keto Lite: Safe for Mums meal plan, the recipes selected were closer to a low carb, moderate protein and moderate to high fat split.
We’ve allowed a variation in each macro-nutrient so our mums have more flexibility in meal planning and offer a wider range of meals suitable for families, compared with a strict ketogenic diet.
What we aimed for was to have each meal as close to this range as possible:
- Carbohydrates 15-30%
- Fat 40-70%
- Protein 15-30%
Some recipes have lower carbs or higher proteins, but the majority of the recipes fit inside these guidelines.
Why is The Healthy Mummy Keto Lite: Safe for Mums better for mums and families compared with a full ketogenic diet?
There’s a few reasons why the Keto Lite: Safe for Mums plan is better for mums:
- It allows for more flexibility for eating with your family. The Healthy Mummy promotes a balanced eating style that supports long term health for the whole family, not just a short term strict plan for weight loss.
- Although, our plans support weight loss, the end goal to be a Healthy Mummy is to eat a healthy balanced diet the whole family benefits from!
- It is not as restricted as a strict ketogenic plan
- We aren’t going into ketosis, so we don’t have to worry about the negative side effects like “keto-flu”or your thyroid hormones becoming unbalanced.
How can you make this keto diet meal plan family-friendly?
To make this meal plan suitable for the whole family, you may need to increase the portions of protein and carbs for the non-weight loss eaters. For example, with the main meals that are just meat and vegetable based, you may want to cook a tiny amount of rice or quinoa for the kids or your partner.
What are the key points that make this meal plan different to the other The Healthy Mum meal plans?
One of the biggest differences you will notice is the amounts of fats used. When following our Keto Lite: Safe for Mums plan, we are aiming for a greater percentage of the weight of the meal to be from good fats.
To achieve this we may use reduced fat dairy or other products and add extra amounts of olive oil, avocado or seeds. Or we may include full fat dairy and coconut cream in some recipes.
How will eating in this way benefit/increase your weight loss efforts?
Filling up on fats and protein can make you feel fuller for longer. Reducing grains and simple carbohydrates is less inflammatory on your digestive system, improves insulin signalling, and can reduce bloating.
By focusing on making your calorie intake nutrient dense, and not filling it up with refined carbs, it can make a difference to weight loss.
What should you know about the new keto diet meal plan?
You’ve read why we added this new meal plan and what it’s all about but how do you access it, what does it really consist of and is it family friendly.
- The Keto Lite: Safe for Mums meal plan will consist of 4 weekly plans that will be available in the app every Wednesday just like all our new meal plans.
- To access the new meal plan you can just use the usual dropdown menu in the food section of the app as you would to pick between different themes like ‘Budget / Timesaver’, ‘Higher Calories’ or ‘Vegetarian’ meal plans.
- If you are a new 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge member and are completing the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) calculation for the first time you can choose the Keto Lite: Safe for Mums plan here too, or via your profile.
- There will also be an ‘info’ icon next to this meal plan’s name in the app to explain what it means for customers to help any mums who aren’t sure what the plan is about.
- All the new Keto Lite: Safe for Mums meal plans are all family friendly like all Healthy Mummy meal plans. It is also safe for breastfeeding mums if they increase their daily calories as is suggested with our other meal plans.
- The plans, like all Healthy Mummy meal plans, are easy to customise for instance you can increase the amount of carbs in meals for your children or partners e.g. serve a meat and vegetable meal with some added potato, rice or bread etc for the rest of the family.
- The Keto Lite: Safe for Mums meal plans won’t be updated with every new Challenge round, so if you do opt for this meal plan you will be enjoying these same meals for the next few months. The meal plans will get updated for a new season so we will update them for January 2020 and then every 3 months after that.
Lauren Has Lost Over 46kgs
Lauren says, “If you’re just starting out on your journey, I’d highly recommend starting with a 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges. It’s such a great way to learn about healthy eating and exercise.”
Jo says,“There is 12 months between these pictures (above). I have lost over 41kgs* since starting The Healthy Mummy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges in April 2016.
I love my daily Healthy Mummy smoothie and exercising with my two very active boys aged 2 & 3 years. I’m forever grateful to The Healthy Mummy for giving me a life that is a healthy one and a sustainable one too!!”
Renee Has Lost 46kg
Renee says, “At times I feel as though progress is slow. But in hindsight, 17 months is such a short amount of time in the grand scheme of things, considering that I lived every single day as an obese young woman for well over a decade.”
“The Healthy Mummy is just a part of my everyday life, I live and breathe it every minute of the day.
This weight loss journey has been so much more than me losing 46kgs*. The Healthy Mummy has given me the ability to make better choices for myself and my 7 year old son.”
Elle has lost 20kgs
“I have lost 25 kg in just over a year following the Healthy Mummy lifestyle, but so much for me has changed, much more than just my weight.
From the age of 11, I always wanted long skinny legs – just like the models I saw on Fashion TV. I always HATED my chunky thighs. As I’ve lost weight and gained more confidence I now have learnt to embrace my legs. They are strong and I work them hard to look toned.
I have accepted I will never have gorgeous long skinny legs. But I will try to look the best I possibly can without compromising my health. Loving your body and nurturing it, finding your strengths is a BIG thing.”
Sascha lost 30kg
Sascha says, “Over 30kg gone from using The Healthy Mummy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges and maintaining it couldn’t be more enjoyable”
Cicily has lost 56kgs
Cicily says, “Now I’m feeling so happy in myself, full of energy, confidence is back and excelling. I’m just so darn ME! I feel like I can finally be myself, like I was being held back and didn’t even realise it! Healthy Mummy you are my rock! Trust in the plans. They’ve changed my life forever!”