Prep these macro bowls on Sunday to enjoy a week of lunches
If you’re following the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge and don’t already know what a macro bowl is – here’s the scoop.
Basically, it’s a bowl of goodness with ALL of the ideal nutrients for a healthy meal in the one spot. And they’re PERFECT to add to your meal prep to make lunches a breeze!
Here’s what is in a macro bowl:
- Healthy wholegrains: such as quinoa, brown rice, or freekeh
- Protein of choice: think chicken, beef, tofu, prawns, legumes, boiled eggs, tuna.
- Veggies: anything goes, but think corn, cabbage, grated carrot, roast beetroots, baby spinach, steamed cauliflower, snow peas, roasted sweet potato, green beans, chopped radish.
- Healthy fats: for instance, you might add avocado, cashews, pesto, flaked almonds, pepitas, sesame seeds, or olive oil.
As part of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge we have stacks of these healthy bowls of nourishment.
How to prepare a week’s worth of lunches in one step:
- Healthy wholegrains: cook a big batch of quinoa, brown rice, freekeh, wholemeal couscous or pasta. Allow it to cool completely.
- Protein: poach some chicken, roast some beef, grill some tofu, get your legumes ready, boil plenty of eggs, or make a tower of tuna cans! Any meat can be stored for 2-3 days in the fridge, so freeze any portions that you won’t use in time and just defrost as needed.
- Veggies: open a tin of corn, shred some cabbage, grate some carrot, roast a few beetroots, wash some spinach, steam some greens or cauliflower, trim your snow peas, roast some chunks of sweet potato.
- Healthy fats: ensure you have some avocados ripening in the fruit bowl, top up your nut stash (cashews, flaked almonds, walnuts, anything goes), buy some pesto, ensure you’ve got some seeds such as pepitas/sunflower seeds/sesame seeds ready to go, or check that you have enough olive oil to make dressing. These will need to be added just before serving.
From there you can either:
- Make and store your lunches in the fridge for the next few days
- Store the separate ingredients in the fridge to grab on the day you want to eat them (especially good if you use veggies that could go limp when you reheat the grains and protein).
- Freeze the whole grains and protein to defrost as needed, then add the veg and healthy fats on the day.
You can also cook extra veggies or grains at dinner time to use the next day for lunch, just to mix things up a bit so you don’t get bored.
7 macro bowl recipes to cover you for a week’s worth of lunches
Here are SEVEN delicious macro bowl recipes for you to try out, from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge and the Healthy Mummy website.
1. Fibre-rich Korean-style veggie rice bowl
Don’t spend your hard-earned cash at a Korean restaurant when you can make a super healthy version at home. This delicious rice bowl dinner is filling as it’s packed with healthy veggies and the goodness of brown rice.
Grab the recipe for the Fibre-rich Korean-style veggie rice bowl here
2. Spiced chickpea nourish bowl
Need something warm and filling for dinner tonight? Looking for a meat-free meal option? Try this delicious Spiced Chickpea Nourish Bowl.
3. Quinoa, avocado and sweet potato bowl
Here’s a great vegetarian option with protein-rich quinoa and crunchy cashews. Members of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can grab the recipe for this one from the recipe hub.
4. Protein-packed chicken and avocado macro bowl
Need a filling dinner after a busy day? This macro bowl is a perfect way to quickly prepare a protein-packed nutritious meal and will keep you full for hours. Here’s the recipe for the protein-packed chicken and avocado macro bowl.
5. Chilli prawn and avocado macro bowl
This bowl only takes 20 minutes to make and is packed full of natural protein. Prawns are best cooked fresh, so feel free to switch them out for any other protein you love if you want to make it in advance (tuna is a good choice).
Get the recipe here for the Chilli prawn and avocado macro bowl
6. Chicken Mexican burrito bowl
This colourful burrito bowl is packed with protein and a kick of Mexican spice. Speed up the cooking process by using pre-cooked rice or leftover chicken. The Chicken Burrito Bowl is such a colourful meal!
7. Protein-packed turkey burrito bowl
Turkey is an underrated protein source (and it’s often cheaper than chicken). Here’s a great recipe that packages up well and freezes beautifully as a complete meal, so you can make it in advance and then defrost for lunch whenever you need something in a hurry.
Click here for the recipe for the Protein-packed turkey burrito bowl.
Want to access thousands more healthy recipes like these?
Love the sound of these delicious recipes? Want access to thousands and thousands MORE healthy recipes just like it? Then be sure to check out our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is a family-friendly, breastfeeding-safe program designed FOR MUMS to help them tackle their health and lose weight.
Every week you are given a different meal plan to follow and each month we add 100+ NEW recipes to our Challenge Recipe Hub. That way, you’ll never get bored and stay on weight loss track while digging into healthy, yummy recipes.
Learn more about our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge HERE.