How B Vitamins, Calcium, Vitamin D and Zinc benefit a child’s health
When we have kids, we want the best for them. Our children’s health is our responsibility as parents.
Providing the nutrients they need to grow and thrive through a high-quality diet is so important, but kids are kids, and every now and then, they refuse our food choices.
Sometimes we need to supplement their diet with extra vitamins and minerals to help them reach their best health potential.
How can B Vitamins, Calcium, Vitamin D and Zinc help your child’s health!
B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9 and B12 are the B group vitamins. When they are grouped together they are known as a B complex. Each different B vitamin does a different job in our body, but they all support each others function, so it’s important not to just focus on one, but to get a bit of them all!
- B1 or Thiamine helps energy production and nerves. In kids, not having enough B1 can be a cause of low energy, aggression, and poor appetite.
- B2 or Riboflavin helps brain function, nutrient absorption and immune function. Not enough B2 might cause cracks at the corners of the mouth and is linked with iron deficiency.
- B3 or Niacin is needed for cell energy and fat metabolism. Skin sores and rashes are linked with not enough B3, as is frequent diarrhoea, irritability, sleep issues and headaches.
- B5 or Pantothenic acid is also used for energy production and fat metabolism, as well as carb metabolism and hormone production. It helps with immunity, wound healing and stress management. Not enough B5 is linked with getting pins and needles, tummy cramps, frequent allergies, fatigue and poor digestion.
- B6 or pyridoxine is needed to support nerves, hormones, enzymes, skin health, and neurotransmitter production. Without enough B6 children can feel moody, have muscles spasms, have cracks or sores at the corners of eyes or mouth, have scaly rashes, lowered immunity, tingling in hands and feet, and also feel very fatigued.
- B9 or folate is used for DNA production, neurotransmitter support, and is used for healthy skin, nerves, mucous membranes, teeth and gums. Deficiency signs of not enough B9 include poor concentration, irritability, sore tongue, patchy coloured skin, sleep issues, and indigestion.
- B12 or Cobalamin is used for energy production and nervous system support. Not enough B12 might cause shortness of breath, dizziness, poor memory, depression or irritability, pins and needles and digestive issues.
Calcium is required for so many body functions! Skin, teeth, heart health, bone strength, muscle and nerve functions. Not enough calcium can cause muscle cramps, bone fractures, anxiety, depression and a tingly feeling around your mouth.
In kids, calcium can help with growing pains, restlessness, sleep issues and allergies. Calcium is in dairy foods, but they are also high in phosphorus, which excretes calcium, so plant-based sources of calcium are really good sources.
Vitamin D or calciferol is one of the fat soluble vitamins which is found in very low amounts in foods and needs to be synthesised from sunlight exposure on our skin. In our slip, slap, slop nation, we are covering up to protect our skin, but this reduces our vitamin D exposure.
Vitamin D is needed for growth, nerves and muscle function. It pairs up with calcium for bone and teeth help. In kids, a shortage of vitamin D can cause rickets, where the bones don’t develop properly. It’s also linked with lethargy, sweating head when sleeping, weak muscles, and serious conditions like convulsions and heart failure.
Zinc is a mineral used in protein and blood sugar metabolism, hormone function, immunity, wound healing, and bone health. Kids who have recurrent infections may need more zinc.
Not enough zinc can be linked to dyslexia, poor appetite, poor skin, nails and hair, slow growth, poor taste, skin rashes and digestion issues.
Have you seen the Healthy Kids Nutrition Boost Jelly?
The Nutrition Boost Jelly is a great way to ensure your kids are getting the vitamins they need for a functioning immune system. The jelly is fun to make and tastes delicious – a perfect combo for kids!
Reasons your kids (and you) will love the Healthy Kids Jelly
- Immune Support*
- Good source of Vitamin C
- Contains 9 Vitamins including Vitamin A, B6 and B12
- Low Sugar – contains less than 1g of sugar per serve
- Delicious orange flavour
- Fun and easy to make
- No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives
- Comes with a handy scoop
Get your Healthy Kids Nutrition Boost here