1 recipe 4 different meals! This meal prepping will save you $ and time
“Meal prep is all about saving time and money!” according to meal prepping queen, Kaitie Purssell who has lost 21kg on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
She swears by meal prepping to stay on top of her weight loss and says “I save money and, believe it or not, in most cases, time by using the Healthy Mummy Meal Plans and cooking most things from scratch.”
Using one of her favourite Healthy Mummy recipes, Mexican Lasagne, Kaitie made another THREE TOTALLY DIFFERENT meals prepping ideas you can follow.
How this mum turns 1 meal into 4 AND saves money by meal prepping
By meal prepping in this way, Kaitie was able to triple her meals AND have leftovers as the lasagne freezes so well.
Not only is this meal prep recipe so versatile, it’s healthy AND can save you money as Kaitie says, “I often make a triple batch of the mince part of the recipe while also adding a tin of lentils or two to make my dollar stretch a little further.”
She made two Mexican Lasagne’s, one for dinner and then she portioned up and froze the other.
Next, she portioned the rest of the leftover mince to freeze and use in these 3 other Healthy Mummy recipes.
- 400 g premium beef mince
- 410 g can of salt reduced red kidney beans drained and rinsed well
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 2 medium onions finely diced
- 1 red capsicum finely chopped
- 400 g can salt reduced diced tomatoes
- 35 g sachet salt reduced taco seasoning
- 5 wholegrain wraps/tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
Preheat your oven to 180C.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
Sauté onion for a couple of minutes, then add 1 tbsp water (this takes away the need for any added oil) and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, and water has evaporated.
Increase the heat to high and add the mince.
Cook, stirring, until there are no lumps and mince is brown.
Add grated carrot, chopped capsicum, red kidney beans, diced tomatoes and taco seasoning. Stir and then simmer for 10-15 minutes until mixture has thickened.
Lightly spray an oven safe dish with cooking spray.
Layer the dish with 2 x tortillas, then half of the meat mixture, 1 x tortilla, the remaining meat mixture, 2 more tortillas, then sour cream. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown. And There you have a delicious Mexican Lasagne!
28 Day Weight Loss Challenge members can access this recipe in the Healthy Mummy App.
Beef and bean tacos
Another delicious Mexican tacos recipe! 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge members can access this recipe in the Healthy Mummy App.
Mexican Sweet Potato
Kaitie used the leftover mince as a filling for the Mexican Sweet Potatoes.
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 60 grams dinner red kidney beans
- 1/4 cup corn kernels, fresh or tinned
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 medium avocado, diced
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Pierce holes in the sweet potato with a fork or skewer. Place in a microwave steamer, with a small amount of water and microwave on high for 7-10 minutes (the time will depend on. microwave and size of sweet potato), or until the sweet potato is lightly tender.
- Set the sweet potato aside to cool slightly. Once cool to touch, cut in half lengthways and scoop pit the flesh so there is only a thin layer of flesh remaining lining the edges. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender. Add beans, corn and chilli powder and cook until warmed through. Add sweet potato flesh and stir through.
- Divide bean mixture into each sweet potato, approximately 160g, then use a larger one and serve only half per person, rather than a whole sweet potato per serve.
Amazing stuff Kaitie!