Healthy homemade 146 calorie choc beetroot muffins
If you’ve ever been tempted by red velvet cakes, you’ll love this recipe. It comes DIRECT from our August 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Instead of using red food colouring, it’s the fresh beetroot that gives these muffins the pinkish hue.
28 Day Weight Loss Challenge member Melanie Phillips shared this fab pic on our Facebook page, with ‘choc chips added for this hungry breastfeeding mumma.’
It’s a high fibre and delicious muffin recipe that is great to store and have on hand for when you need a healthy snack.
- 2 fresh beetroot grated
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1/3 reduced-fat milk of choice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cups plain wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp cacao/cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line 12 holes of a muffin tray with cases.
- In a bowl add the beetroot, rice malt syrup, eggs, milk and olive oil, whisk together until well combined.
- Sift the flour, cacao/cocoa powder and baking powder and mix to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix gently to combine.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin tin (add chocolate chips if desired) and bake for 12-15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- One muffin is one serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to 2 months.
146 calories per serve (not including chocolate chips)
Want to access thousands of healthy snacks like this one?
Love the sound of this delicious recipe? Want access to thousands and thousands MORE healthy recipes just like it? Then be sure to check out our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is a family-friendly, breastfeeding-safe program designed FOR MUMS to help them tackle their health and lose the baby weight.
Every week you are given a different meal plan to follow and each month we add 300+ NEW recipes to our Challenge Recipe Hub. That way, you’ll never get bored and stay on weight loss track while digging into healthy, yummy recipes.
Learn more about our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge HERE.