Gooey Chocolate Cake and Sauce With Sneaky Veggies
This delicious recipe works so well if you’re on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. It is so tasty and uses healthy ingredients (even some sneaky veggies!) so you can still eat it while losing weight.
- 1 tsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 1⁄4 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup beetroot puree
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup zucchini puree
- 1 cup coconut sugar or a natural sweetener blend such as Natvia
- 1 1⁄4 cups wholemeal flour
- 1⁄2 cup raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 160 ml smooth light ricotta
- 40 g dark chocolate
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or a natural sweetener blend such as Natvia
- 2 tbsp skim milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Whisk together eggs, oil, sugar, zucchini puree and vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cacao, then stir into wet ingredients.
- Add pureed beetroot and stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased and lined cake tin (we used a ring tin) and bake for 30-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and place onto wire rack to cool.
- Break dark chocolate into small pieces.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, and stir over a low heat until chocolate has melted.
- Serve immediately as a hot sauce poured over individual slices, or chill in the fridge to spread over as icing.
With sauce: 213 cals
Without sauce: 151 cals
Nutrition note: Coconut sugar is made from the sap collected from the flower of a coconut palm tree. This is heated to evaporate the moisture and then ground down into granules. Coconut sugar has a lower fructose level and glycaemic index than regular table sugar.
For more incredible recipes like this one, join the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.