Deliciously Festive Low Fat Fruit Cake
It just would not be December without a fruit cake and we’ve got a delicious one for you to try. This Low Fat Fruit Cake may be light on calories but it’s large on taste thanks to all the juicy fruit and tasty spices.
Enjoying delicious treats doesn’t have to be a thing of the past this festive season. We love creating healthier versions of your favourite treats so that you never have to miss out or feel deprived. You’ll find plenty more delicious sweet treats as part of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. This Low Fat Fruit Cake doesn’t need to be made months in advance like its more traditional cousins and is also free from eggs, dairy and nuts. Thank you to Janet Cook for this fantastic recipe.
|Prep Time||15-20 mins|
|Cook Time||30-35 mins|
- 1.5 cups dried mixed fruit
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 120 ml water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 160C and line a small round baking dish with baking paper.
- Add dried fruit, orange juice, nutmeg and cinnamon to a small saucepan and stir over a medium heat until simmering.
- Cover and reduce heat, cooking for 10 minutes and stirring occasionally. Stir in honey and olive oil and let cool.
- Combine chia seeds and water. Stir well and set aside for approximately 5 minutes or until it forms a gel.
- Add flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and use a whisk to combine well. Make a well in the centre, add fruit mixture and chia seed mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour into baking dish and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes, or until a sharp knife in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Recipe makes 20 serves with 103 calories per serve.
Find more festive treats below:
Want more sweet treats and baking recipes like this? Our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is packed with delicious ideas that can be enjoyed as part of a healthy lifestyle. Find out more and sign up here.