The ultimate healthy chocolate party cake – with frosting
On the Healthy Mummy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge you can have your cake and eat and too!
Check out the Ultimate Healthy Chocolate Party Cake! And we have the recipe (from the lovely Janet Cook) here for you today.
This cake not only tastes delicious, but it is also healthy and suitable for your weight loss plan. It’s free from gluten, dairy, egg, and nuts too!
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 2 tsp bicarb soda
- 3 tbsp. cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/3 cup rice bran oil olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 400 ml premium coconut cream chilled overnight for the icing
- 1 tbsp cacao powder for the icing
- 2-3 tbsp pure maple syrup or rice malt syrup for the icing
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips to decorate
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- Line a small, round baking dish with high edges (approx. 19-20cm).
- Mix chia seeds and 3 tbsp. water. Stir and leave to soak
- Combine all dry ingredients thoroughly with a whisk.
- Add wet ingredients, including chia seeds mixture and whisk gently until completely combined.
- Pour mixture into baking dish, and bake for 40 minutes, until top of cake is just firm to touch.
- Let cool in the dish or about 10 minutes. Remove and place onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Open chilled can of coconut cream and use a fork to scoop out all the thick liquid from the top into a bowl. If only about half the can is use-able, repeat this step with a second can.
- Whisk or beat coconut cream until smooth. Mix in cacao powder and maple syrup until smooth and light.
- Once cake is fully cooled, cut in half horizontally using a sharp knife. Spread 1/3 cream mixture in the middle and the remainder on top.
- Gently cut into 12 slices and garnish with chocolate chips to serve.
Serves 12 at 245 cal per serve