As part of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge, this month the Customer Choice Meal Plan contains recipes to help those with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
And it is now live!
Healthy Mummy Nutritionist Cheree Sheldon explains more about the condition and how our specifically selected meal plan can best provide nutritional support for those with this common condition.
What is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is one of the most common hormonal disorders in women, affecting roughly 1 in 7. As it is a syndrome, there is not one single way to diagnose it, with women often struggling for years before getting answers for their symptoms.
Insulin resistance is one of the common features of PCOS, which affects both women of a healthy weight and overweight or obese with PCOS. Although obesity is common with PCOS, lean women can also develop this hormonal condition.
Symptoms of PCOS
Common signs of PCOS are irregular or absent periods, acne, alopecia, male pattern hair loss and excessive facial/body hair, and fertility issues. The risk of developing type II diabetes is greater, as is sleep apnoea and depression.
So, it’s pretty important that we can do what we can to reduce the risks and minimize the progression of the syndrome. The most important thing is the willingness to change! Long term success involves a whole life overhaul. Including regular exercise, stress management, avoiding chemicals that can slow down your hormones, and yes, improving your diet.
What to Eat for PCOS
Eating for PCOS is not “being on a diet”, it is using food as medicine to support your bodies needs in the best way, and avoiding the things that will make things worse!
The meals that have been selected for this meal plan have been chosen to highlight the nutritional support you need when you have a hormone-driven illness like PCOS.
Check out the amazing results from Sascha who has PCOS
The DO’s and DON’T’s for Eating with PCOS
- DO- eat a good amount of fibre to improve bowel health. Keeping things regular and moving through will allow the body to detoxify hormones and support liver function.
- DO– Eat mostly low-moderate GI foods. This helps with insulin signalling and can not only improve PCOS symptoms, but reduce the risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- DO– Include omega 3 fatty acids every day. Oily fish are the best source and will reduce inflammation associated with PCOS.
- DO– Focus on eating low sugar and avoiding adding in extra sugars. This reduces the risk of insulin resistance.
- DO– Eat foods that support liver function. Lots of beetroot, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, garlic and onion.
- DO– include herbs that help balance blood sugars, reduce cravings and can provide symptom relief. Key herbs are cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint, Gymnema, and licorice. A cup of peppermint and licorice tea will hit the spot! Herbal tonics can also be really beneficial for helping PCOS!
- DO– Include gut healthy foods to help balance your gut microbiome. Prebiotic foods like apples and artichokes, and probiotic foods like Kimchi and sauerkraut are great additions.
And now for the dont’s!
- Don’t– Eat a high fat diet. This has been linked with a greater risk of developing PCOS, particularly deep fried foods.
- Don’t– Drink Alcohol, soft drinks or caffeine- they put too much pressure on your already overworked detoxification system.
- Don’t- eat lots of refined carbohydrates. Lollies, white bread, pasta, cakes and cookies worsen insulin resistance.
The 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge Customer Choice Meal Plan
The recipes in this meal plan are there for you to get a really good idea on how to eat to support your health better with PCOS. It’s not a short term reset, but a guide on how your long term diet should feel like. Having PCOS is like being on a merry go round- food choices can make it go faster or slow it down.
Is it even possible to slow it down so much you can jump off the ride? It is a possibility!
Why don’t you change your food and find out?
Join the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge for this any other GREAT MEAL PLANS!
Think of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge as the best value personal trainer, dietitian, meal planner, chef and motivational coach with DAILY support – that you have access to every day – without the high cost and all created JUST FOR MUMS.
Each month is DIFFERENT on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge with over 100 NEW recipes added each month. EVERY MONTH you receive NEW 28 Days of FAMILY FRIENDLY customisable meal plans, daily exercise plans with videos and daily support. It’s also breastfeeding friendly.
The 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge has been able to help thousands of mums lose more than 3 million kilograms (combined).