Simple beef pie with mushy peas
This dinner will put smiles on everyone’s faces – a classic British dish of pie and mushy peas recipe. You don’t need any special equipment to make this, and it uses budget friendly mince to keep costs down and cooking time to a minimum.
28 Day Weight Loss Challenge member Kate Jacklin shared this photo on the Healthy Mummy Food Lovers Facebook group. Kate says, “Everyone NEEDS to try this! I have never made anything like these, absolute perfection.”
If that’s not a good review, we don’t know what is! Why not pop these on your meal plan today?
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 1/3 cup liquid beef stock salt reduced
- 2 tbsp tomato passata
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion diced
- 320 grams lean beef mince
- 2 cups mushrooms finely diced
- 1 sheet reduced-fat puff pastry
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 tbsp reduced-fat Greek natural yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté for a minute or until translucent. Add mushrooms and mince and cook, stirring to break up any lumps in the mince, for 2-3 minutes or until mince is browned.
- Stir through cornflour, stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato passata and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer for 5 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the puff pastry on a lined baking tray, and place mince filling in the centre, bring up the sides of the pastry to form a peak and seal all the edges together. Bake for 12minutes or until the pastry is golden and crispy.
- While pie is baking, steam peas on the stovetop or in the microwave until tender. Mash with a fork or potato masher and combine with the yoghurt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve pie on top of mushy peas.
370 calories per serve
As a member of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge you’ll have access to loads of healthy pie recipes. Think Chicken and Veggie Pot Pies, Easy Spinach and Cheese Pies, as well as Potato and Ricotta Pies.
Access thousands of recipes on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge!
Are you wanting to shift the baby weight and blast tummy fat? Then join our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge!
Our Challenge is designed by mums for MUMS to help them lose weight through healthy eating plans and exercise.
Each month our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is themed, targeting things like reducing sugar, budget recipes, meals for fussy eaters, recipes with 5 ingredients or less, and many more.
You can find out the theme of this month’s challenge HERE.