Family Friendly Budget Moussaka $4.58 Per Serve
This moussaka recipe is a great Greek-inspired recipe that is perfect for the whole family.
Make in a larger batch if want to serve everyone, or freeze leftovers in individual portions to reheat for a quick lunch.
This eggplant moussaka recipe calls for kangaroo mince but feels free to use lamb or beef mince if you prefer.
This recipe is from our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge where we have thousands of recipes from Greek to Italian, Mexican to Asian for you to enjoy while still losing weight.
- 2 eggplants
- cooking oil spray
- 320 grams lean kangaroo mince
- 180 grams tinned brown lentils
- 1/2 brown onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- 400 grams tinned tomatoes
- 2 zucchini grated
- 2 carrot grated
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180C. Thinly slice eggplant into rounds. Rinse and drain the lentils.
- Spray a large oven tray with oil and arrange slices of eggplant over the tray. Lightly spray eggplant with oil and cook for 10-15 minutes or until golden, turning once. Remove eggplant from the oven and set aside.
- Brown mince, onion and garlic in a large frypan over a low-medium heat. Add lentils, carrots, spinach and zucchini, mix through well and allow to simmer for 5 minutes until vegetables soften. Add dried herbs and tomatoes. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Spray an ovenproof baking dish lightly with oil and alternate layers of mince mixture and eggplant, finishing with an eggplant layer.
- In a bowl lightly whisk the egg. Add milk, ricotta and nutmeg and combine thoroughly together. Pour over eggplant and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden and bubbly.
530 calories per serve
Find out more or join the next round of the challenge HERE