Grilled Chicken Skewers With Satay Sauce
Make your own healthier version of this takeaway favourite. These satay chicken skewers are great for a family meal, but also work well when made in advance for a BBQ. Serve with the rice and add a fresh garden salad if desired. This chicken & satay sauce recipe comes from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. Members have access to hundreds of healthy recipes that are perfect to share with friends and family at a BBQ or get together. Think healthy burgers, slow cooked meats, nachos and quesadillas.
Find out more about the challenge HERE.
- 1/2 cup brown rice uncooked
- Olive oil spray
- 1/2 brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small red chilli
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce salt reduced
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 250 grams chicken breast fillets
- 6 skewers
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the brown rice according to packet instructions.
- To prepare the satay sauce, finely dice the onion, mince the garlic and finely chop the chilli. Spray a small saucepan over medium-high heat with cooking oil spray and sweat off the onion and garlic until very soft. Turn the heat up and add the chilli.
- Add the soy sauce along with the peanut butter and, with a spatula, gently stir over a medium heat.
- Cook for 1-2 more minutes or until thickened. If too thick add a little water to reach desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Spoon half the satay sauce into a bowl to marinate chicken, reserve the other half for serving.
- Slice the chicken into strips, add to the bowl with half the satay sauce and coat well. Thread onto skewers and spray with cooking oil spray.
- Heat a non stick fry pan over medium-high and spray with the remaining cooking oil spray. Place the chicken skewers into the pan and cook for approximately 8 minutes, turning half way, until cooked through. You can also cook these on a BBQ sprayed with oil.
- Place the rice onto a serving plate with the skewers on top and the dish of satay sauce for dipping on the side. Serve with slices of cucumber and if you like, a few fresh coriander leaves sprinkled over the top.
462 calories per serve