Make-ahead tuna and vegetable sushi rolls
This simple sushi recipe is a terrific make-ahead lunch option for those busy days when you don’t have time to cook. Its also an easy sushi recipe for beginners.
This home made sushi recipe is also a great idea for the kids lunch box – they will be so excited to find fresh sushi rolls in their lunch box.
To make your own sushi you could use pre-cooked brown rice for this recipe. When wondering what ingredients to put in sushi you can use alternative sushi fillings depending on your tastes and what you have on hand.
Leftover chicken and avocado, or cooked tofu strips with cucumber and bean sprouts are some of our favourite sushi roll ingredients.
This sushi roll recipe comes from our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. Losing weight doesn’t mean you need to miss out on your favourite take-away style meals as this easy sushi recipe shows.
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 8 slices sushi seaweed
- 380 grams tinned tuna in water drained
- Prepare rice as per packet directions and once cooked spread out onto a baking tray and sprinkle over the rice vinegar. Set aside to cool.
- Slice cucumber into matchsticks. Slice avocado.
- Once rice is cooled, place a seaweed slice (shiny side down) onto a large sheet of cling wrap.
- Spread some of the rice over half the seaweed slice, covering from the base. Cover the rice with strips of avocado, cucumber and carrot and top with flaked tuna.
- Carefully lift the cling wrap and use it to help guide you as you roll the sushi, being careful not to roll the cling wrap into it. Follow seaweed packet instructions to see if you need to moisten the edge of the seaweed to seal the sushi roll.
- Repeat with remaining sushi seaweed slices and ingredients. This recipe makes 2 sushi rolls per serve.
- Place in the fridge, wrapped in the cling wrap until ready to serve.
345 calories per serve
Want to know how to make homemade sushi at home we have EIGHT sushi recipes available in the recipe hub for challenge members.
Find out more or sign up to the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge HERE.