Comforting Chicken Pie Recipe
This is a healthy alternative to the classic best chicken pie recipe with a Mexican twist. It’s sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Make in individual pie dishes, or make one large pie for the family to share.
This is a great recipe to drop off to a friend who could use a home-cooked meal – you’ll be very popular!
If you love pies, you’ll love the Mexican chicken pie recipes on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. Think Steak and Mushroom Pie, Shepherd’s Pie, or Easy Spinach and Cheese Pie.
Get all of your daily recipes, plus shopping lists and customisable meal plans when you join the challenge. Find out more HERE.
- 1 brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 160 grams chicken breast fillets
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 stalk celery
- Olive oil spray
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 3 tsp plain wholemeal flour
- 1 cup liquid chicken stock salt reduced
- 2 potatoes
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat milk of choice
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 200C. Peel and dice potato, steam for 10-12 minutes until very tender.
- Peel and finely dice onion and garlic. Dice chicken, peel and dice carrot and slice celery.
- Heat a frypan over medium-high and lightly spray with cooking oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until onion is translucent. Add cumin and chilli powder and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken and cook for a minute to brown. Add carrot, celery and flour and stir to combine well.
- Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 2-3 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through (it will continue to cook in the oven) and the sauce has thickened. Place chicken filling into an individual pie dish (one per serve) or you can make it in a large dish for two or more serves.
- Mash potatoes with milk and Parmesan and spread over chicken filling. Spray lightly with cooking oil spray and bake in oven for 10 minutes until the top is golden. Serve hot.
342 calories per serve
Each month our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is themed, targeting things like reducing sugar, budget recipes, meals for fussy eaters, recipes with 5 ingredients or less, and many more.
You can find out the theme of this month’s challenge HERE.