4 bliss balls to boost energy in pregnancy
Including protein-rich, natural snacks in your healthy eating plan is a good way to aid healthy pregnancy weight gain.
Regular snacking helps to regulate blood sugar, keep energy levels high and maintain a healthy metabolism. Healthy snacking also keeps pregnant mums going. There is nothing worse than feeling starving and depleted in the mid afternoon or early evening.
Snacking on whole foods like seeds, nuts, fruits and low-fat dairy is a good way to ensure you don’t go hungry while following a healthy eating plan.
This easy-to-make, 4 Bliss Balls to Boost Energy in Pregnancy recipe is great to have on hand as they are filling and lack the preservatives and artificial, highly-processed ingredients that many other store-bought snacks have in them.
Simply roll in four different coatings to create different flavours and textures!
- 1 cup of almond meal also known as almond flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds for rolling as a coating
- 1/4 cup finely crushed pistachio nuts for rolling as a coating
- 1/4 cup dark cacoa powder for rolling as a coating
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder for rolling as a coating
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 3 tbsp of honey
- Optional Extras:
- Replace the crushed pistachios with crushed macadamias or almonds
- Use maple syrup instead of honey
- Roll in shredded coconut instead of sesame seeds or cacao
- Mix all of the ingredients (except the cacao powder, cocoa powder, pistachios and sesame seeds) in a blender until they are well combined and form a thick paste.
- Take a small spoonful of the mixture and roll between the palms of your hands to form a small ball shape. Repeat this process until there is no mixture left (will make between 16-20 balls).
- Roll a quarter of the balls in sesame seeds, another quarter in cacao powder, another quarter in crushed pistachios and the last quarter in sesame seeds.
- Store in the fridge for a firmer consistency.
Calories per serve (ball): 170
And if you are doing our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge – the good news is that there are lots of snacks to choose from every day on the challenge menu and you won’t ever go hungry.