Shepherd’s Pie Using Christmas Turkey Leftovers
If you’ve got some turkey left over from Christmas Day, we’ve got a perfect recipe for you. It will leave you and the family heartily satisfied, but even if you are following the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge you will still be staying on track.
The trick with leftovers is to turn them into something a bit different than how they were originally served. This will keep things interesting as well as avoid wastage.
Our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge in January is called the BELLY BUSTER Challenge. Find out more or sign up here.
- 2 sweet potatoes large, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups chopped up cooked turkey
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/6 cup Philadelphia light cream cheese
- Cracked black pepper
- Sea salt
- 1/2 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil the potatoes until soft, drain and set aside. Mash well until smooth.
- Lightly fry the celery and onion in the oil until tender.
- In a bowl, combine the turkey, stock, garlic and sour cream before adding in the onion and celery. Then add the philadelphia, pepper and salt and mix well.
- Place mixture into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mashed sweet potato and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 180C for 30-35 minutes or until golden on top.
Recipe serves 8 at 252 calories
If you love entertaining over the festive season but don’t want to undo all of your hard work, check out our 150 festive (and healthy) recipes in our Christmas Recipe Book. Get your free sample recipes from the book here.