Spinach & cheese triangles perfect for parties
Do you love pastries, but assume they would be off limits if you are trying to eat well and lose weight?
Our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge meal plans have this in mind, and while traditional spinach and cheese triangles may not be the healthiest option, this homemade version actually ticks a whole bunch of ‘good food’ boxes.
They are an ideal food to make ahead and take to a party. The finished product can also be frozen for up to three months.
- 3 sheets reduced-fat puff pastry cut into four square pieces each
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 brown onion peeled
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg beaten
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Place the spinach, onion and garlic into a food processor or blender and whiz to combine.
- Heat the olive oil over a low/medium heat in a large frypan, add the spinach mixture and sauté gently.
- When spinach has wilted, remove from the heat and place in a fine mesh sieve or colander to drain excess moisture.
- Pour ricotta and feta into a large mixing bowl and add the drained spinach mixture.
- Add in the lemon juice and season with the salt and pepper.
- Using a clean work surface or cutting board, place a small amount of mixture into the middle of each pastry square.
- Fold the end over to create a triangle and seal by pressing together with your fingers or a fork.
- Lightly brush with the beaten egg mixture on each side then place on a baking paper lined baking tray.
- Place into the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 12 triangles at 325 calories each
Join thousands of other mums on our next 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge to see more family friendly recipes just like this one.