There are not too many foods that can double as breakfast OR a dessert, but this is definitely one of them.
Poaching pears gives them a super soft bite, and the flavours from the poaching liquid are given time to infuse into the pear flesh. Poaching is a great cooking method when you are trying to lose weight, as you get all the flavour without the need to use any oils or butter for cooking in.
There are so many reasons why pears are good for you.
- They contain fibre, which is a necessary element of a healthy diet. Fibre helps sustain blood sugar levels and promotes regularity.
- They can give you an antioxidant boost – as pears ripen, chlorophyll breaks down into active antioxidants in the skin and the flesh just below it.
- They contain Vitamin C which helps you to absorb iron
- Pears can boost your brainpower due to their copper content
- The high content of folate (folic acid) means they are a great snack for pregnant women
These are delicious for dessert served warm with natural or Greek yoghurt and a sprinkling of hazelnuts.
They also work well cold for breakfast on top of porridge or muesli.
You could even add them to your Healthy Mummy Smoothie.