Thanks to The Healthy Mummy Jade found the motivation to ditch takeaway food, soft drink, alcohol, and cigarettes and lost over 8 kgs. Go, Jade!
“I’m now 162 days smoke-free. I feel I have more energy and my body clock automatically wakes me up at 6 am.”
Mum shares her tips on how she ditched smoking
Jade Wills, 35, from Adelaide, South Australia, is a single working mother to 3 children aged 11, 9 and 5.
She joined The Healthy Mummy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge in August 2019 and in that time has lost 8.5 kgs.
From 77 kgs to 68.5 kgs in about 6 months.
Jade shares, “Physically I look in the mirror and see myself happier. My skin looks better because I’ve ditched the takeaway soft drink, alcohol and cigarettes.
I’m now 162 days smoke-free. I feel I have more energy and my body clock automatically wakes me up at 6am.
Mentally I feel like I could take on the world. If I can do this I can do anything!!
How Jade ditched smoking
“I’ve been a smoker for 20 years !! My last cigarette was August 27th, 2019, so about 5 months ago.
“I feel fantastic now that I no longer smoke. More money in the pocket. I no longer stink like a ashtray, which a few people have commented on.
Unfortunately no hero story with ditching the cigarettes. I’ve tried cold turkey before and failed so my doctor prescribed me some medication called Champix.
Side effects are common, luckily enough I suffered only a few mild ones. Fortunately for me this method has worked and I know I will always be a smoker, I just choose not to smoke.”
Jade’s tips for other mums wanting to quit smoking
Jade recommends you plan ahead. “Choose a quit date and then cut down slowly over a period of time. Always make sure you have supportive people around you. People who won’t smoke around you or offer you one etc.
Calculate $$$ spent per week so that you can see how much you could save.”
Jade loves the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge app
Jade says, “I am a lifetime member and I pick the lunches dinner and Snacks I eat. I don’t always follow the weekly plan.
I use the app for my exercise. I try to do the daily fit advanced routine then add a couple of extras in 3 times a week. I also try walking 3 times a week. I love the fact it’s all in one. Exercise, food and calorie counter.
I use the Healthy Mummy Smoothies. I’ve tried the vanilla, chocolate and coffee. So far chocolate is my fave. My fave Smoothie is Sneaky snickers.”
Jade’s favourite Healthy Mummy recipes:
- Beef nachos
- Stovetop lasagne
- Chicken baked spaghetti
- Chicken parmigiana
- Tuna corn pasta bowl
- Meatball sub
- Zucchini slice
- Weetbix slice
- Choc coconut slice
All these recipes and more can be found on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Jade’s tips for other mums:
- Don’t let one wrong choice ruin all your hard work. Tomorrow is a new day wipe that day away and keep going.
- If you feel you can’t go without something, whether it be chocolate, alcohol or ice cream. Try a healthier version or just in moderation. I LOVE fruchocs and I’ll buy a small pack. Sometimes it will last me the week and sometimes it lasts me 2 nights lol.
- It took me 3 months to see a 2kg loss. My doctor said it was because I’d given up smoking. He advised that my body was still adjusting and that my metabolism may be affected. I cried to my mum many times in those 3 months.
- It is hard to lose weight but reach out to your loved ones, friends and from your fellow Healthy Mummy’s for advice and support.
- If the exercise your doing doesn’t excite you try to change it up. Instead of a stroll around the suburbs try a hike or a trail along the beach.
Join the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge
The 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is a fully interactive and online customisable meal and exercise plan with over 4,000 recipes, over 350 exercise videos and 24/7 support.
Each month there’s a brand new challenge theme and there are hundreds of thousands of mums on the Challenge – check out all the details here!