Kid Friendly Easy Cheesy Quiche Cups
If you’re looking for a healthy recipe that’s ideal for the whole family (including the toddler), look no further than the vegetarian quiche recipe.
While your standard quiche is made in a larger-sized dish, quiche cups are baked in a muffin tray. This means they’re perfect for both portion control and for little people’s appetites – and even more perfect if you are trying to lose weight or are following our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Ideal as a nutritious dinner option served with a yummy green salad or a quick, tasty lunch, these quiche cups are also a fantastic way to use up whatever you have lying around in the fridge.
We’ve made our quiche cups vegetarian, with spinach, zucchini, sweet potato, and mushroom. But you could easily add other ingredients like lean bacon or even leftover poached chicken.
We’ve also made sure to pack these full of veggies to ensure you’re getting your 5 a day in a yummy way. A variety of greens will work in this recipe, as will things like leek, red onion, pumpkin and even potato.
To keep the calorie count down, we’ve eliminated the pastry but if you wanted to make these for a special event or similar, ready-rolled puff or shortcrust would work well.
- 6 eggs
- 1.5 cups skim milk
- 1 cup low fat tasty cheese grated
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup zucchini grated
- 1/2 cup mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Olive oil spray to grease the tins
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Spray 2 x 6 muffin capacity tins with olive oil spray to grease or use regular olive oil and kitchen paper
- Heat remaining olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan
- Add mushrooms and spinach and stir till spinach begins to wilt
- Remove from heat and add zucchini while pan is still hot. Add the cooked sweet potato.
- Transfer veggies into a large bowl
- Whisk eggs, milk, 3/4 of the cheese, salt and pepper together in a separate bowl
- Add veggies to the egg mix and stir well
- Divide mixture across the trays
- Top with remaining cheese
- Place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes or until firm and starting to turn golden on top
Makes 12 cups at 150 calories per serve