Family Friendly: Easy Cheesy Fish Pie
Here’s a family-friendly fish pie recipe that is sure to be enjoyed by everyone.
This deliciously creamy, easy cheesy fish pie reheats well the next day (if there’s any left) and is low in calories.
You can use salmon, white fish, or a mixture of fish and prawns if you want to change it up a little.
This fish pie freezes well to reheat for another night or for a quick lunch. Simply divide into portions and place in a freezer friendly container.
- 400 g white fish and prawns or use all fish
- 1 bay leaf
- 300 ml skim milk
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 600 g potatoes or sweet potato
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cups frozen peas to serve
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Lemon wedges to serve
- fresh parsley to serve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 200C.
- Peel the potato and cut into chunks.
- In a large saucepan, add the potatoes to boiling water and cook for 15 minutes, or until soft.
- While the potato is cooking, heat your frying pan over a low heat.
- Place the fish (and prawns, if using) into the pan with the milk and bay leaf.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently until the fish is cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for five minutes.
- Carefully remove the fish and flake it into small pieces, placing into an oven-proof casserole dish. Remove the bay leaf from the milk and discard.
- Heat the milk up again until warm and sift the plain flour into it.
- Whisk the mixture constantly to avoid lumps, until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the lemon juice into the white sauce, and pour the sauce over the fish.
- When the potatoes are done, strain them and allow to cool.
- Mash the potato and then place on the top of the fish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. It is ready when the top is crispy and golden.
- Cook your peas according to packet directions.
- Serve the pie with peas and lemon wedges, and sprinkle the fresh parsley over the top.
Serves: 4. Calories per serve: 300.
For more healthy recipes like this, why not join thousands of other mums on our next 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge?