Four ingredient healthy lemon cake
This delicious lemon Sponge cake is a great recipe to make ahead of time so you have a healthy snack option for the week.
You could also make double and freeze single-serve portions to eat another time.
This tasty lemon sponge cake recipe comes from our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge and just goes to show that you can still enjoy the things you love even as you lose weight.
Just four ingredients are needed for this one – eggs, coconut sugar, lemon, and almond meal. We love it when baking can be so easy.
|Prep Time||20 mins|
|Cook Time||20 mins|
- cooking oil spray
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease an 8 inch (20cm) square cake pan with cooking oil spray and line with baking paper.
- Separate eggs, placing whites and yolks in two different medium bowls.
- Combine egg yolks, lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of the coconut sugar.
- Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Stir through almond meal and half the lemon juice.
- Beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt to soft peaks. Briskly stir a third of the egg whites into the almond mixture to loosen. Gently fold in remaining whites in two batches.
- Tip batter into prepared pan, smooth top and bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- While cake is baking gently warm remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately brush with syrup. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into 6 slices. 1 slice is 1 serve.
218 calories per serve
Want more sweet treats and baking recipes like this? Our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is packed with delicious ideas that can be enjoyed as part of a healthy lifestyle.