Healthier Hot Cross Buns
Let’s face it, Easter just wouldn’t be Easter without a delicious Hot Cross Bun! Shop bought varieties are often loaded with sugar and aren’t the best option if you’re watching your weight.
But this Healthier Hot Cross Bun Recipe from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is an Easter treat you can tuck into guilt-free!!
This recipe calls for wholemeal flour and is enriched with Greek yoghurt and naturally sweetened with dried fruit and coconut sugar. As they contain no yeast they are quick and easy to make and will fill the house with beautiful aromas of sweet spices.
If you love these healthier hot cross buns then we have heaps of tasty Easter treats available on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge including Easter Muffins, Hot Cross Bliss Balls and Mini Tiramisus.
|Prep Time||10 mins|
|Cook Time||20 mins|
- 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cups sultanas
- 1/4 cup dried apple finely chopped
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup plain wholemeal flour for flouring
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp sugar free maple syrup for glazing
- Preheat oven to 200C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix together self raising flour, coconut sugar, sultanas, dried apple, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined.
- Slowly mix in the yoghurt and vanilla essence but try not to over mix.
- Once well combined, use approx 1/4 cup plain flour to cover your work space and knead the dough around 10 times over, the dough may be a little sticky but that's ok.
- Cut the dough into 4 even pieces, round these with your hands to make a bread roll shape.
- Place on a lined baking tray with a few centimetres in between each bun.
- Lightly brush each bun with maple syrup.
- To make the cross shape mix 1/4 cup plain flour and 2-3 tablespoons of water. Mix well until there are no lumps. Place this mix in a zip lock bag and cut a small piece of the end to make a piping bag. Slowly create the cross shape on top of your hot cross buns.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve best when hot. One bun is one serve.
395 calories per serve
Don’t fall off the health wagon this Easter with these tips
1.Keep up your routine: If you have regular exercise planned, then continue with your plans over Easter. Still attend your gym session, complete your fave 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge workout video, meet up with your personal trainer or complete your at-home exercise routines. Getting your exercise in before you are preparing a family lunch will give you loads of energy for the day ahead.
Stuck for exercise ideas? Get your FREE exercise guide from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge here.
2.Don’t let the kids have all the fun: Opportunities for incidental exercise are in abundance during holidays like Easter, so get out there and play, swim, bike ride, slip ’n’ slide. Finding ways to have fun while exercising is key to keeping motivation levels high.
3.Don’t plan too much: You don’t have to say “yes” to every Easter event you are invited to. Keeping your schedule to a minimum will help you reduce your stress and give you more time for more important things – like time with your family.
4.Don’t lose sight of the big picture: Even if you do end up indulging a little more than you usually would over Easter and
possibly feeling as if you’re in a chocolate egg coma, don’t lose sight of your goals and don’t forget how far you’ve come. Bumps
in the road are to be expected but don’t let them knock you completely off course.
These four hot tips come STRAIGHT from our Healthy Easter Cookbook. This festive-good eBook is LOADED with healthy Easter recipes and holiday work out tips.
With ideas for main meals and sides for family lunches or dinners, healthy chocolate recipes so you can indulge in sweet treats, while still following your healthy lifestyle goals, plus homemade gift ideas so you can pass on your healthy ways to friends and family.