Kangaroo Kofta With Cauliflower & Masala Sauce
This Kangaroo Kofta Recipe is very popular in the Middle East and India, kofta are a meatball-style meal, made with minced meat and vegetables.
The rich savoury flavours of this kofta recipe perfectly seasoned with herbs and complimented by the creamy Masala makes a deliciously different dinner the family will love.
You could use lamb or beef mince instead of kangaroo. The kofta can be prepared ahead of time and left in the fridge until ready to cook.
|Prep Time||35 min|
|Cook Time||40 min|
- 100 g lean kangaroo mince
- 1/4 grated brown onion 25 grams
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin 0.25 grams
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander 0.25 grams
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves 2.5 grams
- 2 cups cauliflower 200 grams
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil 10 mls
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger 2 grams
- 1/2 tsp curry powder 0.5 grams
- 1 tsp tomato paste 4 grams
- 100 g tinned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat Greek natural yoghurt 40 grams
- cooking oil spray
- 1/4 cup brown rice uncooked (40 grams)
- Prepare the kofta by combining the kangaroo mince, half of the grated onion (squeezed of any excess liquid), cumin, coriander and mint in a bowl. Use your hands to mix well.
- Roll heaped tablespoons of the mince mixture into 3 logs per serve. Then flatten slightly and insert a skewer ¾ of the way into the kofta. Cover and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Cook rice according to packet instructions. Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and toss with half the oil. Spread over the baking tray. Roast for 15 – 20 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- To make the masala sauce, place a frypan over a medium heat, add remaining oil and cook remaining onion until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add ginger, curry powder, and tomato paste, and cook for 1 minute. Add tinned tomatoes and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Then stir through yoghurt.
- Once kofta have firmed in the fridge, heat another frypan over a medium heat. Spray pan lightly with cooking oil and cook kofta, turning several times, for 7-10 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Serve kofta with rice and roasted cauliflower covered with masala sauce.
442 calories per serve
The Healthy Mummy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge has over 2,000 amazing healhty recipes to help you lose weight safely.
We have created our easy to follow Comfort Eating Weight Loss Plan to show you what an average week of healthy but hearty eating can look like. We have also created lots of additional comfort food recipes that you can incorporate into your weekly meal plan – all of which are very family-friendly too.
Check out more recipes in our Comfort Food eBook HERE.
Join the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge for more delicious recipes like this Delicious Kofta Recipe!
If you’re looking for more easy, low-budget, healthy meals like this, you’ll love our Winter Weight Loss Challenge.
You’ll have access to 3,000 recipes, 28 days of customisable, breastfeeding-friendly meal plans each month as well as daily mum-friendly exercise plans.
Thousands of mums take part in our challenges every month and have lost 2 million kilos between them!
Prices start from less than a dollar a day. Learn More Now