Lentil Chilli Con Carne Recipe
Not only is this Lentil Chilli Con Carne recipe a delicious vegetarian dish full of nutritious goodness it's also perfect for families on a budget!
Not only is this Lentil Chilli Con Carne recipe a delicious vegetarian dish full of nutritious goodness it’s also perfect for families on a budget!
This a great recipe to prepare ahead of time in a larger quantity and refrigerate or freeze in single-serve portions. Then just defrost or reheat as required and enjoy for lunch or a simple, family-friendly dinner.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 1/4 cup tinned brown lentils 50 grams
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil 2.5 mls
- 1/4 brown onion 25 grams
- 1 clove garlic 3 grams
- 1/2 red capsicum 50 grams
- 125 grams tinned tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder 0.3 grams
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika 0.3 grams
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin 0.3 grams
- 1/4 cup brown rice, uncooked 40 grams
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 0.3 grams
- Cook rice according to packet directions. Drain and rinse tinned lentils.
- Finely chop the onion, add to a saucepan with the oil and sauté for 3–4 minutes until translucent.
- Crush in the garlic and cook for another minute or so.
- De-seed and chop the capsicum. Then add to the pan together with the spices and sauté for another minute.
- Add tomato, lentils and salt to the pan and simmer for 5-10 minutes until starting to thicken.
- Season with pepper.
- Serve chilli in a bowl with the rice.
245 calories per serve