Milk Supply Boosting Smoothie Recipe
The Healthy Mummy smoothie mixes (which have been created to be breastfeeding friendly) already contains lactation boosting herbs such as fenugreek and ginger.
To turn your smoothie into a serious milk-boosting machine, try adding cashews that contain calcium and iron – particularly important to consume whilst breastfeeding.
Sesame seeds are also noted as a galactagogue (lactation booster), as they are high in calcium and oestrogenic properties.
Oatmeal is a comfort food. When a woman sits down and eats a bowl of oatmeal, it may help her to relax, which in turn may cause her body to release oxytocin (a hormone involved in milk production). In addition, being relaxed may help with the milk let-down process.
Coconut oil is high in lauric acid (50% of the fat content) – which is the same type of fat in breast milk.
A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has shown that lactating mothers who eat coconut oil and other coconut products, have significantly increased levels of lauric acid and capric acid in their breast milk, creating milk rich in health-promoting nutrients.
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Healthy Mummy Smoothie mix
- ¼ cup raw cashews soaked overnight or minimum 4 hours
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp oatmeal
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon and
- 4-5 ice cubes
- Soak 1/2 cup Raw Cashews overnight or minimum 4 hours
- Add 2 cups of water to your blender with the drained cashews and blend until smooth.
- Add rest of the ingredients to blender and blend for 2 minutes.
Calories: 325 , Carbs: 15g, Protein: 18g Fat: 16g Fibre: 9.1g
You can buy the Healthy Mummy Smoothie here
Why the Healthy Mummy Smoothie is different
Our Healthy Mummy Smoothie range is up to 96% sugar-free, 100% fructose free and 100% artificial sweetener free.
And it is very different to other shake products out there. Plus if you are a breastfeeding mum they are safe for use in breastfeeding.
1. They are great for a busy mum’s brekkie
Our research shows that over 50% of mums skip breakfast due to being too tired to make it or not having enough time to make it.
Needless to say this can have a negative effect with the metabolism, health and weight loss of mums all over the country and if mums found just 2 minutes to make a smoothie for breakfast they would feel healthier, have more energy and find weight loss a lot easier.
If you are using any weight loss plan or healthy eating plan (or following our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges or have our 28 Day Plan meal plan book)
2. They’re accelerant and filler FREE
We are proud to say that our Smoothie is free from any fillers and weight loss accelerators. Many many weight loss shakes contain fillers and weight loss accelerants to trick your body into short term – and unhealthy weight loss. These artificial fillers make your tummy feel temporarily full are not natural and the long term effects are not known. They can also lead to a lot of the side effects associated with ‘shakes’.
3. They contain wholefoods
The Healthy Mummy Smoothie contains whole foods and over 25 vitamins and minerals. The product is high quality and every ingredient in the smoothie has been included to be a benefit to your health. Most shakes do not provide this high quality and the reason you will see many ‘giveaway’ offers on TV with these brands is because their product is extremely cheap to make and do not use the whole foods and high-quality vitamins and minerals that we do – so it is very cheap to make and their product is topped up with sugar and fillers to bulk it out.
4. They’re dairy and gluten-free
Today many people have allergies to dairy and gluten so our Specialty Smoothies are free of both of these ingredients. We use non-genetically modified Soy Protein Isolate which uses only the protein part of the soy – not the oestrogen part of the soy.
5. They’re breastfeeding friendly
We do not use any caffeines or weight loss accelerants in our smoothies so that breastfeeding mums can use it. The only Smoothie that does contain small amounts of caffeine, is the Premium Espresso Smoothie so this flavour is not reccomended for breastfeeding. We also included fenugreek in the smoothie to be an additional benefit – and if you are not breastfeeding, fenugreek can still be a great benefit to your health as it provides carbohydrates, dietary fibre, fats and minerals like iron, calcium and phosphorous.
We have thousands of emails each month from mums on our plans who report improved milk supply from using our smoothies, but if your baby has any food sensitivities or suffers from colic we recommend talking to your Dr before changing your diet or using our products and plans. And you can read more on this from the ABA here.
6. They’re a formulated meal replacement & pass international standards
Our smoothie is a formulated meal replacement and has passed International Food Standards. It provides your body with over 23 vitamins and minerals and the focus is on optimal nutrition.
Some other ‘shakes’ on the market are only a protein shake or supplement.
This means they cannot be used as a meal substitute as they do not contain enough nutrients and energy to fuel your body and consumers can often be mislead into thinking a product called a Shake is a meal replacement when it is not.
7. They’ve helped mums lose over 1 million kg (results may vary)
Mums all over the world, love our smoothies. And they are great for getting lots of nutrition into your body if you are too time-poor or tired to cook a meal.
And mums also like to use them in conjunction with our 28 Day Diet & Exercise Plan – which is also breastfeeding-friendly.
You can see hundreds of results from mums on our plans here.
8. What ingredients are in the Smoothie?
The smoothies are free from artificial sweeteners, additives, fillers, caffeine and weight loss accelerants.
Included in our smoothies are:
- Apple pectin – a source of soluble fibre that forms gel naturally
- Rice bran fibre – a highly fibrous ingredient
- Cellulose – major component of cell wall in plants
- Psyllium husks – a water-soluble fibre to aid digestion
- Inulin – a natural vegetable fibre to aid digestion
- Flaxseed meal – healthy fats (omega3 fatty acids) & high fibre making it an ideal ingredient for post birth nourishment
- Pumpkin seed meal – adds bulk to assist a sense of fullness & contains a high level of essential fatty acids, protein, zinc & iron.
Protein For Health & Weight Loss
- Soy protein isolate (non-GM) – a complete protein low in fat with high digestibility.
Methionine 10mFg – important amino acid for normal metabolism
- Protease (from aspergillus) – group of enzymes that assist digestive process by breaking down proteins
- Soy lecithin 400mg (non GM) – emulsifying that can aid the digestive system
- Bromelain 5mg – enzymes from pineapple assisting protein digestion.
Herbs For Your Health
During a weight loss diet, herbs can help to maintain a feeling of general well-being:
- Ginger root – a spice often used to improve metabolism while soothing the stomach
- Fenugreek – Provides carbohydrates, dietary fibre, fats and minerals like iron, calcium and phosphorous. It also provides support for breastfeeding mothers
- Dandelion root – helps absorption of nutrients in “The Healthy Mummy” Smoothie and Rich in Vitamin A,C and B2, iron and calcium
As part of a weight loss diet, low GI foods help to release glucose more slowly leading to a more stable blood glucose level.
Natural ingredients in our smoothies help give a gentle sensation of feeling fuller for longer, helping to avoid eating large meals or over-snacking. They help to bulk the stool & aid bowel eliminations.
We do not use any artificial sweeteners in our smoothies and use a small amount of thaumatin – which is a natural plant-based sweetener to sweeten the smoothie.
9. What ingredients are NOT in the Smoothie?
We are proud that the following ingredients are NOT in our smoothies
- No Caffeine
- No Fillers
- No Artificial Sweeteners
- No Fructose
- No Genetically Modified Ingredients
- No Added Salt
- No Weight Loss Accelerants
- No Chemicals
- No Phentermines
- No Phenylpropanolamine
- No Dairy (in Specialty Smoothies)
- No gluten (processed on lines which may also handle gluten)
10. We now also have a pregnancy smoothie
And the great news is that if you are pregnant, we have The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie – and you can read all about this here.