Easy and delicious Monday night frittata
Monday night, although the beginning of the week, can sometimes be a little chaotic, especially if you are exhausted from the weekend and have not done the shopping yet.
We’ve nicknamed this frittata the ‘Monday night frittata‘ as it’s the perfect quick and healthy recipe.
It’s especially good for using up whatever veggies you might have knocking around in the fridge, making it budget friendly as well as deliciously healthy (and the perfect choice for those who are part of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge).
One of the best things about the Monday night frittata is that it’s completely customisable. You can swap and change the ingredients to suit what you have to hand. For example, you could swap:
- Kale for baby spinach
- Peas for beans
- Bacon for ham (or omit altogether for a vegetarian option)
You could also add any leftover roast veggies (pumpkin and sweet potato are ideal).
- 4 rashers rindless lean bacon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 diced brown onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 cups kale leaves
- 8 free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup natural or greek style low fat yoghurt
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the bacon of any excess fat and chop into small pieces. Spray a baking dish that will fit 4 serves with oil and preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat olive oil in a fry pan over a medium-high heat. Add bacon and onion, and cook until bacon is crispy. Add garlic and kale. Stir to lightly wilt kale.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and spread to evenly cover the bottom of the dish.
- Mix the eggs and yoghurt together, season with salt and pepper, and pour into dish over the bacon and kale. Give it a slow stir to ensure all the bacon and kale is covered with the egg mix. Sprinkle the top with sunflower seeds.
- Bake in the prepared oven for 30 minutes or until egg is set and firm. Allow to cool slightly and slice into 4 pieces to serve. 1 piece is 1 serve.
Recipe makes 4 serves at 420 calories per serve
The next round of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge starts soon. Click HERE for all the details and to sign up.