Money Saving Curried Beef With Peas – Perfect Mid Week Meal
A hearty meal for the whole family. Make this delicious stew ahead of time so you can just reheat and serve at dinner time.
It also freezes well, so you could make a double batch and freeze a family sized portion for those busy nights when you don’t have time to cook.
This recipe comes from our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge and is very BUDGET FRIENDLY, coming in at just $2.23 per serve.
- 320 g stewing steak such as lean chuck steak
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup liquid beef stock salt reduced
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 4 potatoes
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tsp plain wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp water
- Dice meat into cubes.
- Place a heavy-based saucepan or casserole dish over a medium heat. Add oil and garlic and cook for 1- 2 minutes until tender. Add curry powder, stir to combine with oil and cook for a further 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Turn down the heat and add the beef. Cook for several minutes, browning all over.
- Add the stock and tomatoes and simmer for 40 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking, peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes. After the 40 minutes of simmering time, add the cubed potatoes to the beef and allow to cook for 7-8 minutes or until potatoes are almost cooked.
- Dissolve the flour in the water and add to the pot. Stir well to combine and simmer for another 10 minutes, to allow the sauce to thicken. Add peas and cook for a further 3 minutes before serving.
345 calories per serve
PLEASE NOTE: Costs per serve will vary depending on supermarket, brand and type of ingredient purchased. Making recipes in bulk will also reduce total costs for preparation.
Find out more about the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge or sign up by clicking HERE.