Poached Chicken, Avocado and Blood Orange Salad
This recipe is a zesty lunch option packed with vitamin C, folate, protein and fibre. It’s perfect to make for yourself, or if you’re having friends over and want a ‘cafe quality’ salad option that is different from your usual home made salad.
- 2 blood oranges chopped into segments
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 avocado sliced into pieces
- 4 handfuls of lettuce mix
- 1.5 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Cracked pepper
- Place the chicken breast in a small pot or saucepan. Fill the saucepan with water until the chicken is covered.
- Add the dried oregano and bay leaves to the water, then bring to boil.
- Once at the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer partly covered for 10-12 minutes.
- After 10-12 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and leave the chicken breast in the hot water for another 10 minutes.
- Fill two bowls with lettuce leaves, avocado and blood orange segments.
- Slice the chicken breast and arrange on top of salad.
- Squeeze lime juice over the salads, and top with cracked pepper.
Recipe serves 2 at 310 calories per serve
For more healthy meal and snack recipes, join thousands of other mums on our next 28 Day Challenge.