Healthy Vegetarian Pumpkin and Chickpea Burgers
Burgers are a great family meal, but it doesn’t always have to be about the meat.
These healthy veggie burgers are made with the goodness of pumpkin and chickpeas, to give you a filling meal that’s also budget friendly.
For fussy eaters in your family you can adjust the flavours in this recipe to suit their tastes as needed.
For children you could serve this meal ‘deconstructed’ – try placing the chickpea burger on a plate with salad elements and some bread. They can assemble in a burger if they like, or eat everything separately.
This recipe comes from our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. Each month our weight loss challenges are themed, targeting areas such as budget recipes, meals for fussy eaters, recipes with 5 ingredients or less, and many more.
You can find out the theme of next month’s challenge HERE.
- 1 cup pumpkin peeled and cubed
- Olive oil spray
- 80 grams tinned chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp plain wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp reduced-fat Greek natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 wholegrain rolls
- 1/2 sliced tomato
- 1 cup shredded mixed lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 200C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Place pumpkin on the tray and lightly spray with cooking oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until roasted and tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- When pumpkin is cool, place in a food processor with rinsed and drained chickpeas, cumin, coriander, mustard, paprika, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Blitz to combine all ingredients.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Lightly spray with cooking oil.
- Shape the chickpea and pumpkin mixture into burger patties and dust the outside with flour.
- Place patty into frying pan, cook on each side for approx 4-5 minutes or until golden on the outside and warmed through in the centre.
- Combine yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce.
- Halve the bread roll and place lettuce and tomato on one half.
- Top with burger patty and drizzle over sweet chilli yoghurt. Top with other half of bun to serve.
362 calories per serve