There’s a LOT of hype around apple cider vinegar, and it seems for good reason.
So many people claim it has many benefits, from healing a sore throat to heartburn during pregnancy. Apparently, this magic-like liquid can target your problem areas, one fiery sip at a time. But is it ACTUALLY good for us?
Healthy Mummy nutritionist Cheree Sheldon gives us a closer insight into just what is so special about apple cider vinegar and how best to consume it.
What it specifically targets
Healthy Mummy nutritionist Cheree is a HUGE advocate for this fermented liquid, which contains enzymes, probiotics, and is also antibacterial.
“It literally can do dozens of things for your health,” she says. “When I first used it, I was a singer, and it is amazing for sore throats and vocal health. I used to have 1 tsp every day and gargle it before and after gigs.
“Funnily enough, at the time I did this, my skin was amazing, my hair shiny, my eyes sparkled and I felt amazing.”
Apple cider vinegar also alters your pH levels to make your body less acidic, this increases metabolism, increases bile production, supports weight loss, lowers cholesterol, helps decrease blood sugars and blood pressure. AMAZING!
It’s also great for pregnancy issues too. Cheree reveals she also used apple cider vinegar when she had heartburn during pregnancy as it’s great for reflux or digestive issues.
How best to consume it
There are a few ways to get the benefits:
- Use it as a salad dressing combined with extra virgin olive oil
- Drink 1-2 teaspoons in a small glass water
- Cheree would make a vocal tonic which is similar to the fire cider recipes that are trending now by infusing apple cider vinegar with thyme, garlic, ginger, chilli and lemon and then sweetening with honey. She says you can shoot this down by adding 10ml to 20ml water or you can combine 10ml in a mug of warm water and sip
- Put 1-2 tsp in your water bottle and sip throughout the day.
If you have never had apple cider vinegar before, start by having a small amount in warm water (not too hot or boiling as it will destroy the good bacteria) and sweeten with manuka honey or stevia.
The warm water will make it a bit more palatable for the beginner and stevia will take the edge off!
How often to have it
- 2-5ml per day once a day for a general health booster
- Take 2.5-5ml in a small glass of water prior to meals to get digestive benefits, to help reduce blood sugars or prevent reflux
- For a sore throat or heartburn gargle as required and have 5ml per hour if needed
- When sick increase to 5-10ml.
Here’s more on how apple cider vinegar can help you lose weight.
Accompany your apple cider vinegar with our 3 day cleanse to rid the toxins of your body improve your metabolism and kick start your energy levels.
Our Ultimate 3 Day Cleanse could be just the thing your body needs.
Detoxing or cleansing can help to remove the unwanted toxins from your body, improve your metabolism and kick start your energy levels.
The trouble with most traditional cleansing programs is that they cut out entire food groups (and in many cases, there’s no food at all!), which can cause lots of problems.
When your body is starving it goes into survival mode, and you may feel such side effects as irritability, nausea, dizziness and headaches. Plus it grinds your metabolism to a screeching halt!
Even though you’d be likely to lose weight on traditional detox programs, much of the weight loss would be water – and this will all come back once you start eating normally again.