When you are pregnant, it seems your body becomes the subject of conversation for all of those around you!
But while in most situations you can nod and smile or, better yet, walk away, there are some occasions – such as weddings – where you’re ‘stuck’ with people and their unhelpful ‘words of wisdom’ for long periods of time.
Here are some cringe-worthy statements some pregnant women we know had to endure at a wedding or family event.
Here’s what NOT to say to a woman who is expecting at one of these events.
12 things NOT to say to a pregnant women at a wedding!
1. Wow, are you sure it’s not twins in there? I heard of a woman who was pregnant and there was a twin hiding behind the other…
Even though you’ve probably had all of your scans and know how many are babies you are carrying, people will STILL like to joke about you carrying more. Hilarious – not.
Not a medical professional? Then maybe don’t give your opinion unless it’s asked.
2. Calling an ambulance – you’re not going into labour are you?
No, I’m just checking my Snapchat story…
3. How many weeks to go? 8?! Wow, I thought you only a few days to go.
You’ll find that everyone you come into contact with has an opinion on the size of your bump – whether it is too big or too small. Not very helpful we know, especially if you are feeling sensitive about it.
4. Bet you REALLY wish you could be taking advantage of the free bar right now.
Thanks for reminding me of what I’m missing.
5. Are you sure you can eat the steak? Is it well done enough, maybe check with the waiter…
I’ve got this. I know what I can and can’t eat. Well, I’ve managed so far.
6. Don’t dance too much – in case your waters break.
You’re hilarious. When’s your DVD coming out?
7. Has anyone told you what labour is like? It’s REALLY painful and unpleasant.
Really helpful advice, NOT. If I wasn’t looking forward to it before, then I’m DEFINITELY not now.
8. You must be the designated driver today – can I have a lift home?
Not if you keep making comments about me and my pregnancy!
9. The last trimester is REALLY hard. Those last few weeks are the worst. But it doesn’t get any easier.
Again, really helpful…
10. Did you struggle finding an outfit today? You figure never goes back to what it was before you know… You must be boiling in what you’re wearing.
I was going to wear my bikini as that’s the only thing that fits / I feel comfortable and cool in, but I didn’t want to upstage the bride.
11. When did you get married? *Pointing to bump* Was it a ‘shot gun’ wedding or a honeymoon baby?
If you want me to go into details about my sex life then pull up a chair and I’ll tell you, making sure you don’t want to ask me again…
12. Are you going to take two slices of cake? You know, now you’re eating for two.
No, but I may end up throwing a slice at you if you carry on!
The best thing you can say?
CONGRATULATIONS! You must be so excited. How wonderful! You look great. You’re doing a great job.
The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie is a convenient and easy supplementary food, designed to complement your existing pregnancy vitamins or supplements, to help you meet the extra protein, vitamin and mineral requirements during your pregnancy.
Please read below for all the information on the smoothie – you can also see the FAQ on the smoothie here.
The pregnancy smoothie is also free of all chemicals, fillers and artificial ingredients, has no fructose in, no added sugar and uses high quality dairy protein sourced from grass fed cows in New Zealand.
Purchase your Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie here.
- HEALTHY INCREASED CALORIES – Additional nutrients and calories are needed in pregnancy to support the mum and the baby – and the smoothie is a convenient and tasty way to increase your calories in pregnancy whilst nourishing your body.
- MORNING SICKNESS – If you are suffering from morning sickness and find eating food difficult – the smoothie is a great way to nourish your body with a easy to drink smoothie- it also contains ginger.
- TIREDNESS – If you are feeling exhausted, the smoothie is a nutrient dense snack high in protein, B vitamins and low constipation iron to help keep energy levels up.
- CONVENIENT- if you are struggling to find the time or energy to eat nutrient dense and healthy foods then the smoothie will be a great help. You could also have it as a quick breakfast by adding fruit, oats and vegetables to your smoothie to further increase calories.
- PROTEIN & CALCIUM – It is ideal as a high-protein, high-calcium snack in pregnancy with each smoothie giving you 30% of your protein needs
Key nutrients needed for pregnancy
The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie provides a Good Source of Vitamins & Minerals – providing extra nutrition, including protein, vitamins & minerals for expectant mums
- Folate – contributes to maternal tissue growth during pregnancy. Consumption of at least 400mcg† per day, at least one month before & three months following conception may reduce the risk of fetal neural tube defects
- Vitamin B12 – necessary for normal cell division, neurological structure & function, & contributes to normal blood formation, which are important processes during pregnancy
- Calcium – necessary for normal teeth, bone structure, important for baby’s development
- Iodine, Phosphorous, Vitamin D & Vitamin B12 – contribute to normal growth & development, including that of the baby
- Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Folate & Iron– contributes to the reduction of tiredness & fatigue, symptoms often experienced by expectant mums
- Protein – necessary for tissue building & repair, normal growth & development of bone & contributes to the growth of muscle mass
- Probiotics – contribute to gastrointestinal health & the maintenance of beneficial gastrointestinal microflora, which can benefit pregnant women
- Fibre – aids in regular bowel motions, which can become irregular during pregnancy.
You can download the Pregnancy Smoothie Label here.