Air Fryer Mexican Chimichangas
These homemade chicken chimichangas taste just like a deep-fried version from your favourite Mexican restaurant – though minus the added fat and calories.
They are super easy to prep and quick to make in an air fryer, perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. To bulk up the calories of this recipe you could add avocado, greek yogurt or sour cream.
Get more delicious and healthy air fryer recipes in the Healthy Mummy’s 5 star rated App, home of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge, today.
|Prep Time||40 mins|
|Cook Time||15 mins|
- 500 grams finely diced chicken breast
- 4 tbsp Mexican seasoning 16g
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely chopped 50g
- 1/2 zucchini, finely chopped 55g
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped 50g
- 8 wholemeal tortillas
- 120 grams light tasty cheese, shredded
- 120 grams mixed lettuce
- 2 punnets punnets of cherry tomatoes, chopped 500g
- parsley to garnish
- 1 lime, in wedges
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium- high heat.
- Cook diced chicken until browned, add mexican seasoning, capsicum, zucchini and red onion. Stir together until vegetables start to soften.
- Preheat the air fryer to 190C.
- Lay the tortilla on a flat surface and place about 3 tablespoons of the chicken and vegetable mixture in the middle of the tortilla. Top with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Fold in the bottom and top of the tortilla over the filling and roll in the sides tightly to enclose the filling. Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas.
- Place a single layer of the chimichangas in the basket of the air fryer, with the bottom of the tortilla facing down.
- Cook for 5 minutes, after 5 minutes turn the tortilla parcels and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until they have started to brown and go crispy.
- Continue the process until all tortilla parcels are cooked.
- One wrap is one serve. Serve with a simple salad of mixed lettuce and cherry tomato. Top with parsley and a wedge of lime on the side for dressing.
- To bulk up the calories of this recipe you could add avocado, greek yogurt or sour cream, or have two per serve.
239 calories per serve.
Want more recipes? Join our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge
Want to lose weight but feel like you have NO TIME in your day to exercise and eat healthily? That’s where the Healthy Mummy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help.
Our Challenge entails:
- Over 450 at home exercise workouts (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Weekly customisable, family, and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels.
- Home to over 4,500 of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes.
To find out more on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge click here.