Healthy pork and veggie sausage rolls
Here’s a great make-ahead meal to feed a crowd these holidays. Packed with veggies, these veggie sausage rolls are wrapped in ever-popular puff pastry, so they’re sure to be devoured by adults and kids alike.
Traditional sausage rolls don’t tend to have many added vegetables. So you can feel proud knowing that you’re sneaking in veg that the kids may have normally missed out on.
- 3 sheets puff pastry
- 1 small zucchini grated
- 250 g lean pork mince
- 1/2 brown onion grated
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1.5 tbsp tomato sauce no added sugar
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 180C and line two trays with baking paper. Defrost puff pastry on the bench, then cut each sheet in half lengthways.
- Squeeze out any excess liquid from the zucchini. Combine with pork, onion, carrot, tomato sauce and feta. Combine mixture well with your hands.
- Place the 6 puff pastry strips in front of you. Either use a piping bag or spoon the mince mix lengthways down one half (leaving at least a centimetre pastry border down the side) of each puff pastry strip in a sausage shape.
- Roll each pastry strip over tightly in to a roll and seal the edges with a little milk. Brush a small amount of milk over the top of the pastry rolls so they brown in the oven.
- Cut each pastry roll in half so you have 12 rolls in total. Place on prepared trays. Bake rolls in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- One sausage roll is 1 serve. Cool leftovers and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze to defrost and reheat as required.
201 calories per roll
This veggie sausage rolls recipe comes from our practical yet delicious Christmas and Entertaining Cookbook. check this out now and start practising your cooking skills for a special occasion is always there. Enjoy this delicious recipe from The healthy mummy.
Want more Christmas recipes? Check out The Healthy Mummy’s Christmas and Entertaining Cookbook for more ideas.