A great way to reduce your calorie intake when you are trying to follow a healthy eating plan is to try to reduce the amount of processed foods that you eat.
So if you feel like cooking up a stir fry or a curry, making your own sauces from scratch can be a great start. This is what we aim to do with our recipes in the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge – we use as little store-bought sauces as possible.
Often the commercial varieties of sauces or spices that come in a jar or sachet contain a lot more salt, sugar, additives and colourings than we would ideally like to be eating.
Here’s a simple recipe for a delicious stir fry sauce that pairs perfectly with your favourite meat and veggie combinations.
The total calories is just 26 for the sauce, with 1499mg sodium and 0.1g sugar.
Compare that to some of these commercial sauces and you will see a big difference.
- 160g pouch of Coles Mongolian BBQ Simmer Sauce – 163 calories plus 1328mg of sodium and 19g of sugar.
- 500g jar of Chicken Tonight Apricot Chicken Sauce – 296 calories plus 2280mg of sodium and 42g of sugar.
- 600g jar of Kan Tong Sweet Soy and Garlic Simmer Sauce – 462 calories and 5802mg of sodium and 78g of sugar.
- 300g bottle of Asia At Home Teriyaki and Honey Stir Fry Sauce – 369 calories and 3360mg of sodium plus 59g of sugar.
Use this with your favourite combinations – think chicken, zucchini and snow peas; beef, bok choy and broccoli; prawns, sweet potato and peas; tofu, baby corn and carrot.
Want more recipes like this? Join our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge
Want to shift your baby weight but feel like you have NO TIME in your day to exercise and eat healthily? That’s where the Healthy Mummy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help.
Our Challenge entails:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels.
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes.