Gluten Free Vegetarian Baked Stuffed Sweet Potato
When you’re busy, it’s great to have a handful of easy to prepare meals up your sleeve.
This recipe for a Gluten Free Vegetarian Baked Stuffed Sweet Potato contains veggies as well as chickpeas, cheese and herbs. It will fill you up, has loads of flavour, as well as offering a big dose of vitamins and minerals.
The recipe can be tailored to your own tastes (and what’s in the kitchen), so feel free to experiment and add things like chopped capsicum, chilli flakes, dried oregano, canned corn and jalapenos.
- 4 sweet potatoes medium
- 4 tablespoons chives chopped
- 400 grams canned chickpeas drained
- 1/2 cup cashews raw and unsalted
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Juice of half a lemon
- Cracked pepper
- 200 grams reduced-fat cottage cheese
- Boil a large pot of water and once at boiling point, add the rice.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until the rice is tender and cooked.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking tray and cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove, prick the skin and cook for another 20-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are cooked through and soft.
- Cut open the cooked sweet potatoes with a large knife or scissors and fill each with some cottage cheese.
- Scatter the rice and chickpeas on top of the cottage cheese.
- Finish with the chopped chives, cashews, a squeeze of lemon and some cracked pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Serves: 4. Calories per serve: 402
Join us on our next 28 Day Challenge for more family-friendly recipes like this one.