The best way to lose weight is to include nutrient-dense, low-calorie foods into your diet. With green vegetables, including green leafy vegetables, you will have just this.
Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, broccoli leaves, beetroot leaves, rocket and Asian greens are high in a wide range of micronutrients. Some of these include iron, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A and folate. All of these nutrients, including the fibre, are important for all women but especially when you are trying to lose weight post-pregnancy.
The nutrition inside these leafy greens are perfect for breastfeeding, not only to pass onto your baby (iron especially) but to keep your energy levels high with the added iron for yourself and also keep you well-nourished. Fibre is also important for our gastrointestinal health as well as keeping us regular.
Green vegetables such as legumes, peas and beans are also a good source of non-heme protein and iron. Protein is essential when you are trying to lose weight as it sustains the energy release of our foods for longer which helps with cravings. It also helps you stay feeling fuller for longer.
All green vegetables are high in antioxidants and phytonutrients which have been shown to support our health against free radicals which can damage our cells; anti-inflammatory which keeps our bodies in balance; supports our health against chronic diseases such as type II diabetes. Super green nutrition.
Green vegetables are also relatively low in calories, especially green leafy vegetables. This also makes them a perfect option for a weight loss recipe. The delicious recipe below is a great option for the whole family and the added citrus twist of vitamin C assists in the absorption of iron from the green leafy vegetables.
Citrus and tamari Asian stir fry with green vegetables
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
What you need is:
- 2 lean medium-sized chicken breasts sliced into thin strips or 200grams of fresh peeled prawns
- 1 bunch of bok choy
- 1 cup of roughly chopped spinach or baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup of snow peas or snap peas
- 1 brown onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic finely diced or minced
- 4 tbs of tamari sauce
- The juice of one orange
- 2 parcels of rice noodles or 1 packet of egg noodles.
- 1 tbs of sesame oil
What you do is:
- Heat a pan with the sesame oil and sautee the onion and garlic. Add in the chicken strips and brown the outside.
- While the chicken is cooking boil some water.
- Into the heated pan, add in the snow peas, bok choy and spinach. Add in the tamari sauce and orange juice and heat through. Only for a few minutes to not overcook.
- Into the boiling water pop in the noodles and following the cooking instructions of the pack. Drain once ready and toss through the veggies and chicken.
340 calories per serve
If you are ready to lose weight then The Healthy Mummy plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet plans that are safe if you are breastfeeding. Plus we have Cookbooks, Calorie Bibles, Exercise DVD’s, Meal Replacement Smoothies and Our 28 Day Plan in our shop.