Sunrise host, Edwina Bartholomew, has shared a pregnancy side effect many women are not familiar with.
Sharing on her Instagram stories the TV host joked about her pigmentation aka melasma.
Edwina Batholomew suffers pregnancy side effect we rarely discuss
The 36-year-old, who is expecting her first child with husband, Neil Varcoe, shared a selfie, captioned:
“When you have so much pregnancy pigmentation it classifies as a tan. All suggestions welcome to fix it up eventually.”
What is melasma?
Melasma is very common in women. Melasma is a skin condition that sees patchy areas of light brown, tan or even dark brown pigmentation.
Melasma can be caused by multiple factors such as sun exposure, hormonal changes like during pregnancy in Edwina’s case, or taking the oral contraceptive pill.
Other pregnancy side effects we rarely discuss
Pregnancy can often come with a number of unpleasant side effects. For example morning sickness, cramping, swelling and feeling uncomfortable.
But were you aware of some of the other more rare issues like Varicose Veins, Spider Veins, Sciatica, Swollen feet, voice changes, bleeding gums, and even toenail loss?
Midwife Ali Pickles shares, “An exact cause for unsightly veins during pregnancy is relatively unknown, however, there is a genetic link which is seen more commonly in women,” says Ali.
“As it is more commonly seen in women there is research that suggests that it could be hormone-related. This theory is backed up by the increase seen during puberty, menopause, pregnancy, and breastfeeding.” Read more HERE.
12 side effects of pregnancy
12 other side effects you might not have been aware of include:
1. Iron-deficiency anemia
2. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
4. Gestational Diabetes (GDM)
6. Swollen feet (Jessica Simpson suffered from this issue among others)
9. Changes in your voice (singer Adele, noticed a huge change in her voice during pregnancy)
10. Toenail loss (Libby Tricket shared her weird experience losing her toenails.)
11. Bleeding gums (Em Rusciano was shocked to suffer from this side effect)
12. Varicose veins on your vagina (Grant Denyer says wife Chez suffered from this!)
- Science says you can ‘catch’ pregnancy from your BFF (well, sort of)
- Jessica Simpson opens up about her pregnancy health issues
Are you currently pregnant? Then you should try our yummy Healthy Mummy Pregnancy smoothie
The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie is designed to complement, not replace, your prenatal vitamin intake. Our nutritionists ensured that the vitamins and minerals in the smoothie are at a low level so there is no risk of doubling up on any pregnancy vitamins.
It is ideal as a high-protein, high-calcium snack in pregnancy.