You may feel far from it, but new research finds that pregnant women are basically endurance athletes!
In fact, scientists say the physical intensity of carrying a baby is the same as running a 40-week marathon.
Yep, that’s right. You deserve a medal, mamma!
One of the many side effects of pregnancy is feeling fatigued, and no wonder! Women are burning off as much energy as Ironman competitors.
According to researchers at Duke University, pregnant women should be placed in the same category as athletes who have just competed in a triathlon when it comes down to endurance.
Experts recorded the resting metabolic rates (calories burned while the body is relaxing) of top athletes competing in the Tour de France, a 3,000 mile (4828km) race.
According to the study, the most anyone can sustain is burning calories at 2.5 times the person’s BMR, or about 4,000 calories a day for the average adult.
Pregnancy is, of course, very long compared to other sporting events but researchers found mums-to-be operate at 2.2 times their BMR, which is almost the maximum possible, every day, for nine months.
“Pregnancy is the most energetically expensive activity the human body can maintain for nine months,” Duke University professor Herman Pontzer, who co-led the study tells The Post.
“I don’t think any mother is surprised to learn how difficult pregnancy is!
“But I’ve had a few friends — including my wife — tell me it was good to see pregnancy recognised as extremely challenging.”
So there you go. Basically, women are amazing!
Join The Healthy Mummy for a healthy pregnancy
Taking time each day for yourself can significantly lower stress and keep your energy levels high.
Try out our Complete Pregnancy Pack for endless ideas and tips for staying healthy whilst pregnant.
The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie
The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie is a convenient and easy supplementary food, designed to complement your existing pregnancy vitamins or supplements, to help you meet the extra protein, vitamin and mineral requirements during your pregnancy.
The pregnancy smoothie is also free of all chemicals, fillers and artificial ingredients, has no fructose in, no added sugar in and uses high-quality dairy protein sourced from grass-fed cows in New Zealand.
How can The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy smoothie help?
- HEALTHY INCREASED CALORIES – Additional nutrients and calories are needed in pregnancy to support the mum and the baby – and the smoothie is a convenient and tasty way to increase your calories in pregnancy whilst nourishing your body
- MORNING SICKNESS – If you are suffering from morning sickness and find eating food difficult – the smoothie is a great way to nourish your body with a easy to drink smoothie- it also contains ginger.
- TIREDNESS – If you are feeling exhausted, the smoothie is a nutrient dense snack high in protein, B vitamins and low constipation iron to help keep energy levels up
- CONVENIENT- if you are struggling to find the time or energy to eat nutrient dense and healthy foods then the smoothie will be a great help. You could also have it as a quick breakfast by adding fruit, oats and vegetables to your smoothie to further increase calories
- PROTEIN & CALCIUM – It is ideal as a high-protein, high-calcium snack in pregnancy with each smoothie giving you 15g of high quality protein
You can all see all FAQ on the smoothie including a list of all the ingredients, use in gestational diabetes, RDI’s for pregnancy of vitamins and minerals when you download the Pregnancy Smoothie Fact Sheet on the smoothie here.
You can also buy the Pregnancy Smoothie in our shop here.