Healthy Aussie Meat Pie Recipe
This delicious Aussie meat pie recipe is a hearty family meal that will most certainly lead the way to dad’s heart (via his stomach of course). It is also super healthy and a perfect addition to a healthy eating plan like our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
The beef is tender and juicy and it is also jam-packed with yummy veggies. Pair it with a healthy salad and you really can’t go wrong.
Traditionally a pie isn’t on the menu in a healthy eating plan, but with this Aussie meat pie recipe, you just use one sheet of low fat puff pastry to serve 6 people. Too easy!
Try serving this pie with some steamed beans, corn or peas; or a crispy green salad.
- 500 g lean beef steak cut into 3cm dice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion peeled and finely diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and finely diced
- 1 celery stick finely diced
- ½ red capsicum chopped
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves only
- 3 large mushrooms diced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp plain wholemeal flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste or use tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 ½ cups beef stock
- ½ cup red wine or use more beef stock
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 tbsp milk for brushing pastry
- Preheat your oven to 150C.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over med/high heat.
- Brown the beef until golden, set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the onion, carrot, capsicum celery and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the thyme and the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Season to taste and then add the flour and tomato paste, stirring well for 1 minute.
- Place the beef back into the pan and add the wine, stock and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Bake in the oven for 90 minutes.
- Remove the pastry sheet from the freezer and allow to thaw on the bench.
- Increase the heat of the oven to 190C.
- Place the beef filling into a pie dish (or use a deep cake tin) and cover with the pastry, tucking into the sides.
- Brush the top with milk and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Calories per serve: 340
Want more Healthy recipes like this mojito cocktail recipe? Check out the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge
This recipe from our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge and is a yummy example of just SOME of the delicious, healthy and easy to make snacks and meals you can tuck in to.
With over 4,500 recipes to choose from our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge helps you eat well (and deliciously) with ease and while losing weight Start your Healthy Mummy Journey Today.
You can learn more about our Challenge HERE.
Are You Ready To Become A Healthy Mummy?
If you’re looking for more best and easy, low-budget, healthy meals like this delicious recipe, you’ll love our Winter Weight Loss Challenge.
You’ll have access to 3,000 recipes, 28 days of customisable, breastfeeding-friendly meal plans each month as well as daily mum-friendly exercise plans.
Thousands of mums take part in our challenges every month and have lost 2 million kilos between them!
Prices start from less than a dollar a day. Learn More Now