Healthy Homemade Pasta Sauce with less than 5 Main Ingredients + Seasonings!
When you are trying to lose weight, one of the first things we suggest at The Healthy Mummy is to cut down on processed foods.
By cooking from scratch and using fresh produce as much as possible it helps us reduce the amount of calories, salt, sugar, fat, additives and preservatives in our diet.
That’s why our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge uses very little in the way of processed foods. This Homemade pasta sauce is a delicious example!
Often you will find that commercial products – think pasta sauce, tinned soup, frozen dinners– contain some ingredients that you may not have even heard of. So, we’ve created this recipe which is healthy and packed with flavour. Not only that, but it can be made with 5 common main ingredients + seasonings such as olive oil, salt + balsamic vinegar.
So instead of buying a shop-bought pasta sauce, why not make your own? Making your own pasta sauce also allows you to control exactly what goes into the recipe (and what stays out!).
The primary ingredients are full of healthful and fat-fighting benefits as well.
- Tomatoes are chock full of goodness. They are a good source of vitamins (A, C, K, potassium and folate); and are low in sodium, calories, and saturated fat.
- Garlic is a well-known fat fighter. It boosts your metabolism, regulates your blood sugar, and even eliminates fat from the cells!
- Red onions, as well as packing a big flavour hit, are great for cardiovascular health and can lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
While this particular sauce doesn’t include any meat, you can use it as a base and add your own favourite ingredients.
- 6 ripe tomatoes or you can use 2 x 400g tins of good quality diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 red onions
- 2 small red chillis
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, quarter the red onions, and place on a baking tray with the garlic and whole chillis. If using tinned tomatoes, just add them at step 6.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season well
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened and the garlic is soft to touch
- Once cool enough to handle, take the garlic and squeeze all of the flesh out into a bowl.
- Add the tomato, chilli, onion, wine and vinegar.
- Whiz everything together with a stick blender until just combined. Serve on top of your favourite pasta.
Recipe serves: 4. Calories per serve: 160
For more healthy meal and snack recipes, join thousands of other mums on our next 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.