Are you travelling this weekend? Do you want to avoid the Golden Arches stop or chips and lolly binge?
Here are 10 perfect car snacks that are great when you are trying to following a weight loss plan or healthy eating diet.
- Veggie sticks with a chunky thick dip
- Sliced chicken
- Sandwich with a chunky veggie based dip like hummus
- Falafel balls – recipe below.
- A Healthy Mummy Smoothie in a takeaway container
- Homemade muffins or healthier banana bread
- Zucchini & Haloumi Frittata
- Drinking yoghurt
- Muesli Slice recipe
The most important point is to pack the food in a way which is firstly easily accessible and secondly easy to clean up and not leave too much mess.
Falafel Balls Recipe
These falafel balls are the perfect addition to a car trip. Pack them in a small plastic container, cold and you will have no mess to clean away. Plus they are high in protein and fibre to keep you feeling full for the whole car trip.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 brown onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of coriander seed
- 2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 handful of parsley leaves
- 1 handful of mint leaves
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place all the ingredients except the oil into a blender and process until smooth.
- Wet your hands and shape the mixture into 16 small balls. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and place 8 balls in at a time. Slightly flatten them with the back of your fork. Cook each round for around 5 minutes.
- Place them on a paper towel to rest and pack off to take on your trip.
Around 70 calories per falafel.
If you are ready to lose weight then The Healthy Mummy plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine that are safe if you are breastfeeding.